Self-litigating braces I gates continually opening

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

angelina

Self-litigating braces I gates continually opening

#1 Post by angelina »

I have an appointment to have a gate closed that has opened approx 1 week after a wire change. This is the fourth time in as many months. I only notice them open when my teeth start looking atrocious.

Is this a common thing with self-litigating braces? This is including doing the right thing by not eating hard/sticky foods.

I'm supposed to be 8 weeks from having my braces taken off and my teeth look woeful, my orthodontist is away so all I can hope for is for them to stick a rubber band around it and hope for the best.

This experience is leaving me feeling rather depressed at the moment.

djspeece

Re: Self-litigating braces I gates continually opening

#2 Post by djspeece »

The tech should be able to close that gate, it seems like a simple thing. In fact if you read the thread "Confess Your Orthodontic Sins" you'll find some real reprobates who open and close their own brackets at will! Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

bracinglp

#3 Post by bracinglp »

I've heard people talk about opening and closing the gates at will also.

Bracingmyself33

#4 Post by Bracingmyself33 »

I'm able to open a particular gate... sometimes 1 or 2 brush bristle got stuck there and I managed to open the gate and remove them myself.

No biggie unless the wire is obviously loose and out of the gates.

flowers4kelly

#5 Post by flowers4kelly »

[quote="djspeece"]The tech should be able to close that gate, it seems like a simple thing. In fact if you read the thread "Confess Your Orthodontic Sins" you'll find some real reprobates who open and close their own brackets at will! Best of luck to you.[/quote]

Hahaha , reprobates. I saw that, too and wondered why in the world anyone would do that.

angelina

#6 Post by angelina »

Well I'm due to get them off tomorrow and Lo and behold!!!! I noticed a bottom tooth has become slightly crooked and the gate is open. I am so disheartened by this whole experience. They open after every freakin time I have the wires changed unless I have power chains. If they tell me they won't take them off I am saying yes they are - I feel I could go around this merry go round for the rest of my life at this point...I have an appointment, they change the wire, the wire pops out.

Really ticked off right now and want to cry.

I'm due to have a baby any day now and they needed to be off... :evil:

angelina

#7 Post by angelina »

Also re last time I went back and they closed the gate. Did I mention I live an hours drive from my orthodontist? So it's not an easy thing I can just quickly "swing by" for - it takes over two hours out of my day. I have zero faith in self-litigating braces after this experience. I'm so careful with food and the wire comes out every time.

Gbr45

#8 Post by Gbr45 »

what type of self ligating braces do you have?

I have the H4 type and havent had any trouble with them so far but its been a 2 weeks though

sandiego88

#9 Post by sandiego88 »

I have the Damon self ligating braces and I've never had a problem with them opening. For the past year it's taken at least 5-10 minutes during each wire change to pop them open. So painful =(.

angelina

#10 Post by angelina »

Gbr45 wrote:what type of self ligating braces do you have?

I have the H4 type and havent had any trouble with them so far but its been a 2 weeks though
I actually can't remember! Mine wasn't a problem at the start with the thin wires, they seem to have become an issue with the thicker wires and as time went on...I'm wondering whether they were just opened and closed so many times it loosened them or the wires are just too thick. So infuriating!