Day 1 - don't think I can do this!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ruby77

Day 1 - don't think I can do this!!

#1 Post by Ruby77 »

Hi all,

I'm sure you've heard this all before but I'm new and looking for some reassurance! Had my braces fitted today, they are so big. I can't talk, can't eat and starting to really hurt. Not to mention how I look.

18 months is a hell of a long time, what have I done??

djspeece

Re: Day 1 - don't think I can do this!!

#2 Post by djspeece »

You've done something very good for yourself, and a year and a half from now you will be very happy that you took this step! The first few weeks are a bit traumatic -- I was shocked the first time I looked in the mirror -- I could only recall those marketing materials with pictures of happy smiling beautiful people -- who already had perfect smiles -- and with almost invisible brackets -- and wonder what flavor of insanity have I just undertaken because I AM HIDEOUS NOW! OK, so I am a little overly dramatic. I have issues. :roll:
It does get better. Give yourself time to adjust to your new appearance, realize that most people don't really care, and that you are not the first nor the last to endure the charms of orthodontics. This too will pass. Take pain meds as directed (I preferred ibuprofen), plan your diet around soft foods as needed, use wax liberally, and keep your eye on the prize. You'll get there. We all do. I had braces/elastics/powerchains for three years; was debraced in October 2015. It was worth it for a lot of reasons. Best of luck to you.
For humor, check out the thread "Confess your Orthodontic Sins."
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Ruby77

#3 Post by Ruby77 »

Thanks for your response. I am exactly the same when I look in the mirror, I look actually hideous!! I want straight teeth but I don't want to go through this!

Prometheus

#4 Post by Prometheus »

Most all the folks on this board will tell you it does get better, give it two weeks and you'll find it isn't nearly so annoying. Two years in and I forget they are there, except when eating. You are doing something to improve yourself, it's more than OK to be proud of that ! As far as looks, why not rock them and be comfortable with who you are? Best, -P
Lower braces on March 11, 2015, upper braces added July 14, 2015.
Damon, metal bottom / clear top.
Braces off March 26, 2018: Total time in braces: 3 years, 2 weeks and 1 day.
Hawley retainers top and bottom.

Ruby77

#5 Post by Ruby77 »

Yes you're right, I am doing something to improve myself. Just doesn't feel like that right now haha!

Two weeks, I can work with that.

How long until I can chew? I've got some kind of hard blue stuff over the last back teeth on each sight,I think to stop the brackets clashing on the teeth and seems to be making it a lot harder.

Nozzelnut

#6 Post by Nozzelnut »

The blue stuff is probably molar buildups; so you don't break teeth on bottom brackets. PITA to chew for sure; take it easy and be aware that all the bite force is focused on the small spots for now. It will get easier.

Just wait until you're at the 18 month timeframe and things aren't even close! Then 18 months after that; you're still in braces! But, I'm not getting them off until I'm happy! (I've come this far; "close enough" isn't an option anymore.)
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

Ruby77

#7 Post by Ruby77 »

The blue stuff is really annoying!!

How come yours has taken so long?

Steph30

#8 Post by Steph30 »

I totally felt like this at first too!... but I'm now 5 weeks in and even though I'm still uncomfortable I've noticed huge movement in my teeth already and my smile is sooo much more confident. My boyfriend keeps commenting how I show my "real smile" more often then ever and he loves it!... I am completely over the fact that I have braces and I know it's going to be so worth it in the end :)

Hang in there!

Bracingmyself901

#9 Post by Bracingmyself901 »

Ruby77 wrote:Hi all,

I'm sure you've heard this all before but I'm new and looking for some reassurance! Had my braces fitted today, they are so big. I can't talk, can't eat and starting to really hurt. Not to mention how I look.

18 months is a hell of a long time, what have I done??

The first two weeks were horrible for me. I regretted every waking moment of it and contemplated having them taken off. I lost a lot of weight in those two weeks from minimal eating. But then everything got better! Haha you like myself are probably just being overdramatic. The first placement sucks but just know it gets better. I look back and think I was such a drama queen! You can do this! Just know that the bulk of the pain is right now and you'll feel normal and eat normal in no time. When I was like 2 months in, I would sometimes forget they were on/my eating became essentially normal (except of course im doing things like not biting into apples but rather cutting them up and chewing carefully etc).

My go to foods during the first two weeks were mashed potatoes and noodle dishes. And for the moments where I absolutely refused to chew, I drank lots of fruit smoothies and juices. Don't starve yourself as it'll only make you even more miserable (a mistake I made out of frustration).

HikaRiku2

#10 Post by HikaRiku2 »

I felt the same way after getting braces.Take advil to help with some of the pain. But know the pain means the braces are working, so don't worry! It'll take time but you'll get used to it. Eat softer foods til you can chew better. I just pushed through some harder foods after a few days so my teeth would get used to the movement and stop hurting as badly, faster. You can do this! We'll all be your support team. :)

Ruby77

#11 Post by Ruby77 »

You guys are great but I'm so miserable right now and wondering why the hell I'm putting myself through this.

My biggest problems at the moment are the built up molars, means that none of my teeth meet and I can't actually chew.

The top lip not going over the top braces. I feel, sound, look like a freak and want to cry.

flowers4kelly

#12 Post by flowers4kelly »

I am at 2 weeks today. Day 1, I thought, what the freak have I done to myself? Like others, I imagined my glorious self looking like those pictures of people at the end of treatment - dear Lord, crooked teeth look horrendous with metal on them!!! (Especially when you are a full on adult) But, after the first week, I stopped freaking out. I still don't like them, BUT - at the end of 18 or so months, I will have a beautiful, straight, glorious smile. Keep your end game in mind, Ruby! It will get better.

BlondeCam

#13 Post by BlondeCam »

Ruby77 wrote:You guys are great but I'm so miserable right now and wondering why the hell I'm putting myself through this.

My biggest problems at the moment are the built up molars, means that none of my teeth meet and I can't actually chew.

The top lip not going over the top braces. I feel, sound, look like a freak and want to cry.
For me, keeping my lips moisturized at all times help my lips slide over my braces, though I can totally relate to the feeling of "omg, my lip won't go over the braces". All day I keep Bert's Bees on my lips and at night before bed I slater on old school chap stick. Hang in there. It will get better before you know it. The first couple of weeks are the worst.

Ruby77

#14 Post by Ruby77 »

[quote="flowers4kelly"]I am at 2 weeks today. Day 1, I thought, what the freak have I done to myself? Like others, I imagined my glorious self looking like those pictures of people at the end of treatment - dear Lord, crooked teeth look horrendous with metal on them!!! (Especially when you are a full on adult) But, after the first week, I stopped freaking out. I still don't like them, BUT - at the end of 18 or so months, I will have a beautiful, straight, glorious smile. Keep your end game in mind, Ruby! It will get better.[/quote]

That is so true, I hadn't given any thought to how my crooked teeth would look with these on, the wire all up and down!

I am totally freaking out right now,if I had to make this decision again based on how I feel now, I definitely wouldn't do it. I'd stick with wonky teeth!

Is 18 months your estimated time frame?

Ruby77

#15 Post by Ruby77 »

BlondeCam wrote:
Ruby77 wrote:You guys are great but I'm so miserable right now and wondering why the hell I'm putting myself through this.

For me, keeping my lips moisturized at all times help my lips slide over my braces, though I can totally relate to the feeling of "omg, my lip won't go over the braces". All day I keep Bert's Bees on my lips and at night before bed I slater on old school chap stick. Hang in there. It will get better before you know it. The first couple of weeks are the worst.
Does that lip feeling go away? I don't see how it can, they just don't fit!