turned down palate expander and now regretting

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fvalentine1709

turned down palate expander and now regretting

#1 Post by fvalentine1709 »

Hi guys

Few years ago i had a consultation with a orthodontist that suggested me to wear palate expander and braces.
he was a really confident person, but he did two things that really putted me off: first of all he was keeping recommending other peoples to do other consultation (ex. he recommended to do a visit for my legs lenght and wear a plantar), and also, he showed me the picture of a lady for wich he had to pay maxillo-facial after making her wear a palate expander and basically ruin her face.

My fear was to make my face even wider: i have really large jaw, really large face and big cheeks.

Now I have been wearing my braces only since two months ago, and reading in the forum i notice a lot of people saying they didn't saw any change at all from palate expander, and if they did, they were all positive!!

Can you guys advise? What happened to your face after palate expander? Any regret?

Jeska0113

Re: turned down palate expander and now regretting

#2 Post by Jeska0113 »

I will be turning 9 months with my expander & i see no physical difference at all in my face . the only difference i noticed was that i have a better bite. I was grinding down my molars before, & now that problem is corrected since having the expander.

Is it too late for you to get the expander placed ? I think it'll help in the long run (if you do need it) . when in doubt, ask your ortho ! :)

fvalentine1709

#3 Post by fvalentine1709 »

Jeska0113 wrote:I
Is it too late for you to get the expander placed ? I think it'll help in the long run (if you do need it) . when in doubt, ask your ortho ! :)
Hi Jeska!
i should speak with her but honestly it feels a bit weird as she is always in rush and i am reeeally shy!

i don't know what to do if she turn down the option...

Jeska0113

#4 Post by Jeska0113 »

I understand, i am a really shy person as well. But, its for your well being ! Lol sometimes we needa step out our comfort zone. I asked the assistants how long I'll have my expander but they didn't know.& I DIDN'T wanna bug my ortho cuz he was always busy ! But i soon got around :)