Teeth shifting with permanent retainer

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dovhe

Teeth shifting with permanent retainer

#1 Post by dovhe »

My sister wore upper and lower braces for 1,5 years. She had very moderate crookedness, so her treatment was pretty standard (she never had to wear elastics or anything like that). Her braces were removed 3 years ago and she got a permanent retainer on upper and lower teeth. However, her teeth still shift. She went back to ortho and he gave her a thicker retainer, which fixed her teeth for a while. Then yesterday two 1 mm gaps appeared (literally within hours) between her upper central incisors and lateral incisors. She's going back to ortho tomorrow to get her retainer removed for 2 weeks (she has to get some head scans) and is now worried about what might happen to her teeth in the meantime. She's now considering getting a Hawley retainer.

Is it normal for teeth to shift this much with a permanent retainer? Like I said, her teeth weren't that crooked, so I'm not sure why they're so prone to shifting.