Braces or cavity?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Braces or cavity?

#1 Post by 2018 »

(This is my first post, so I hope I'm posting in the right place.)

I'm having pain in a single tooth. It's the one located directly behind one of my upper canines, and I have a rubber bands that hook onto my upper canines. I can't tell if the pain is caused by the moving of my teeth or by a cavity. When I apply pressure to the tooth by, for example, pushing it up, pain shoots into my gum. It only hurts when pressure is applied, however. It's been going on for a couple of hours and the onset was sudden.

Recently I went to the dentist and I had two cavities in my lower, back teeth but after the painful experience of having fillings done I've been making sure to brush thoroughly ever since. My orthodontist has consistently said that I have good brushing habits.

I'm suspecting it's the pressure from my braces causing this, but it hurts more than usual. What's your guys' take on this? Thank you in advance for any replies.

Beemur

Re: Braces or cavity?

#2 Post by Beemur »

A few days after my teeth started shifting the tightness and pain calmed down but I have developed a sharp pain in my lower central incisor every time I put any pressure on it still. I asked my orthodontist and he said it was totally normal and it's just the bone/roots of the tooth because that tooth was moving a bit more than any of the others at the moment. I would say that your pain is probably just from tooth movement, does it have any extra sensitivity to hot or cold things or sweets?

Re: Braces or cavity?

#3 Post by 2018 »

@Beemur Thank you for your reply. I'm not experiencing any sensitivity, and the pain has shifted to another tooth in a completely different area so I think you're right about it just being pressure.