Ceramic self ligating braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MelNZ

Ceramic self ligating braces

#1 Post by MelNZ »

Hi,
I have bad crowding of my bottom teeth (middle four overlap). I'm in NZ and have ceramic self ligating braces on top and bottom. The problem is 3 of the bottom brackets have broken. Two I didn't notice them break (I haven't eaten anything hard or on the 'forbidden' list, in fact I barely chew my food, just chop it up tiny and swallow, as chewing feels awful). The next one broke today when I was flossing and gently taking the floss out I felt it slightly touch the archwire, heard a ping and it flew off.
I will add that not all of the bottom teeth are in the archwire two that are more behind the other teeth are not in there yet. One that was slightly back was the one that broke today.
Has anyone else had this problem?
I read extensively before getting these brackets and every where I read said that they are strong, so for three to break in under my first two weeks of having them on is super frustrating. I'm annoyed at having to take time off work to keep going back.
I wanted ceramic on top and metal on the bottom, but they don't do that here in NZ. Well my ortho doesn't.
I feel like I've made a huge mistake. Or the orthodontist has! I haven't been rough or eaten forbidden things so I find this so frustrating!!
Has anyone else had this problem?

Steph30

Re: Ceramic self ligating braces

#2 Post by Steph30 »

Hi there, I have ceramic uppers and metal lowers and I know one of my more crooked teeth was hard to get in the wire.. the assistant actually made a comment about how she thought it would pop out. She ended up using a bit of wire to tie it in better incase it did pop off. I think it definitely can happen. Have you made an appt to see your ortho to get it fixed?

Catpotat

#3 Post by Catpotat »

Hello from Australia :) I have ceramic self-ligating braces too and in the 9 months they've been on, only one bracket has popped off. It sounds very frustrating for you, I hope your ortho tries to resolve the problem

Mpkh

#4 Post by Mpkh »

Sounds frustrating. I have self ligating ceramic on my social six...so far so good! Talk to your ortho and see if he can do something.
Braced: April 07, 2017
Debraced: February 08, 2019
Sentence: 18-24 months
Actual time in braces: 22 months and 1 day
Reason: Straighten teeth, correct crossbite and edge-to-edge bite

http://myjourneyandlifewithbraces.blogspot.ca

djspeece

#5 Post by djspeece »

I'm not certain it is an issue with the bracket as much with the adhesive that is used to keep them on the teeth. I had one pop off a crown (very common I am told) the third day into treatment, as I was eating yogurt. The ortho applied a bracket that was integrated into a thin metal sleeve that surrounded the entire tooth. End of (that particular) problem. Best of luck to you, hang in there.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying