Correct teeth tilted inward due to elastics

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pcspinheiro

Correct teeth tilted inward due to elastics

#1 Post by pcspinheiro »

Yes, I'm posting again... but messing with my teeth is putting some serious mental stress on me, and I can only deal with it by posting and asking... as I said in another thread, due to wearing triangle elastics to erupt molars, my braced teeth have significantly tilted inward, compared to my not yet braced molars. Thish ish causing slight speech problemsh ash many wordsh in portuguese end with "s" (see what I did there to illustrate the whistled "s"). My ortho was quite dismissive of this when I told her about it, even though it's SO obvious. Will this eventually relapse or do I need to insist with her to deal with it? And how is this normally dealt with? The edges of my tongue also feel more "caught" by the teeth... sooo annoying...

Heidirs

Re: Correct teeth tilted inward due to elastics

#2 Post by Heidirs »

I would keep insisting. Even if it will work itself out later, she needs to at least acknowledge your concerns.

Aspiring

#3 Post by Aspiring »

Are you on rectangular wires yet, or round? Elastics used during the round wire phase will always cause tilting like you describe. Some orthodontists will not use elastics until the rectangular wire phase for that reason. Others will use elastics from day 1, relying on the rectangular wire later on to upright the teeth again.

pcspinheiro

#4 Post by pcspinheiro »

Thanks for your comments! I'm still on round wires, although she mentioned something about torqued square wires, but I got the impression it had to do with the torque (angle) of the front teeth... I'm going to make an actual list of things that I don't like or that are bothering me in terms of function. For example, I totally HATE that she extruded my upper second incisors without even asking... it looks so awkward because my teeth are not geometrically well defined, plus I'm getting small black triangles between the teeth due to the extrusion. My bite is also totally off now and, to make things worse, I got no benefits from the elastics at all, most of the extrusion of my molars relapsed within days of abandoning the elastics... I often wish I never got into this...

pcspinheiro

#5 Post by pcspinheiro »

Just a (late) update on all this. Despite conveying my concern about the teeth tilting inward due to the elastics I was actually put on heavier ones... Obviously this made matters worse forcing me to cal the ortho 2 weeks later and was told to stop wearing them. On my next appointment almost all progress in extruding molars had relapsed, so I was put back on elastics and that's not helping. Of course, the more the force vector is away from the desired direction, the more it pulls in the wrong one... Only got new thicker wire on the bottom, still no classII elastics or square wires. Next week I have a routine appointment and will have to make sure she has contemplated a plan to straighten the teeth back! I've been searching the web for this but either I'm searching wrong or the info is scarce. I'm getting really frustrated by this, I now have a narrower smile and very prominent buccal corridors... Plus, my teeth seem to contact only with the very outer tips and I can even insert a bit of tongue between the teeth with them closed. I cannot end up like this, that's for sure...