Brushing Habits

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Smiffy

Brushing Habits

#1 Post by Smiffy »

Hi guys

im interested to know how often you brush your teeth etc. I have cermaic braces on top, and metal on the lower. currently i brush morning and night as well as after i have eaten something in order to prevent staining and build up of plaque. i would also quickly brush if i have a drink such as tea in the afternoon. so potentially im brushing 4-5 daily. does anyone do this? obviously i do not want to over do it due to the gums but would appreciate feedback!

cheers!

FlowerPower

Re: Brushing Habits

#2 Post by FlowerPower »

2 to 3x a day. During the week, 3x a day and on the weekend at home 2. It also depends on what I eat. If I eat a big meal on the weekends then I go ahead and brush. I mainly drink water but if I drink a Special K or suck on a hard candy I'm not always gonna get up and go brush.

BlondeCam

#3 Post by BlondeCam »

Someone posted some interesting info on all the different types of toothpastes and their ingredients the other day. It was informative on abrasives in different pastes. I'd say on average I brush 4 times, maybe more on some days. I have the same brackets, ceramic upper/ metal lower. I think as long as you're using a soft brush and non-abrasive paste you'll be fine.
Also, I do your trick of rinsing with water after tea or any coffee. I've heard that the ceramics themself do NOT stain but if the ligatures or o-rings will.
This is only my 3rd week in this time around and I was afraid of staining the clear o-rings so opted for silver-grey. If I can muster the courage I'm going to try the clear at my first adjustment in April. Unfortunately my Ortho doesn't have the pearly white option or I would def choose those.

Smiffy

#4 Post by Smiffy »

[quote="BlondeCam"]Someone posted some interesting info on all the different types of toothpastes and their ingredients the other day. It was informative on abrasives in different pastes. I'd say on average I brush 4 times, maybe more on some days. I have the same brackets, ceramic upper/ metal lower. I think as long as you're using a soft brush and non-abrasive paste you'll be fine.
Also, I do your trick of rinsing with water after tea or any coffee. I've heard that the ceramics themself do NOT stain but if the ligatures or o-rings will.
This is only my 3rd week in this time around and I was afraid of staining the clear o-rings so opted for silver-grey. If I can muster the courage I'm going to try the clear at my first adjustment in April. Unfortunately my Ortho doesn't have the pearly white option or I would def choose those.[/quote]

Yes its deffo the ligs that stain.i would recommend the clear ones, give them a try. since rinsing my mouth with water during meal times and buying a special silicone straw for hot drinks ive noticed the staining reducing drastically!

BlondeCam

#5 Post by BlondeCam »

Thanks for the tip on the straw, I'll be shopping Amazon for one immediately. I only have one cup each morning but it's a MUST have morning cuppa! I think I will try the clear. It really IS the point of the ceramics afterall. Lol

Rebeccasmells

#6 Post by Rebeccasmells »

Tomatoes are what cause the staining quickest.

BLKSAGE

#7 Post by BLKSAGE »

I brush twice a day but I try my best to rinse after each meal (depending on where I am). I also have a waterpik and go to the dentist for a cleaning every 3-4 months. Nothing beats a good thorough clean from your hygienist!

26inbraces

#8 Post by 26inbraces »

I usually brush 3x/day after meals, sometimes an additional time if I eat anything else. I can't stand the feeling of anything in my braces or the thought of someone seeing a piece of food in there. ;)

Smiffy

#9 Post by Smiffy »

great replies!!! cheers!!

Heidirs

#10 Post by Heidirs »

I've read that with braces, you should brush your teeth after every time you eat.

JanineJanine

#11 Post by JanineJanine »

I aim to brush 3 times per day but when busy at work this is sometimes only twice. I rinse with water or have sugar-free gum if I snack during the day. I also use a waterpik which was money well spent. I have a check-up and clean at the dentist tomorrow - first time since being in braces - so I'll be interested to hear how things are looking.

I currently have pearl ligatures, which have now been in place 4 weeks. They are definitely not as white as when they were fitted but they are better than the clear ones would have been at this stage.

Mpkh

#12 Post by Mpkh »

I brush in the morning and at night, and I try to brush after meals, if I am able to. If not, I usually rinse with water and use mouthwash. I try to floss once a day, but that doesn't always happen!

Heartofdarkness

#13 Post by Heartofdarkness »

I brush after every meal. That is breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner and other snacks. I realise I'm still a bit rigorious since I'm only 2 months in but I like brushing my teeth, it doesn't bother me that much. Also I'm a routine person so I do it the same way every day which makes it faster.

Morning I brush with 2 brushes, then interdental brush dipped in mouthwash, then mouth wash swirl.
Lunch: 2-3 different brushes (a regular, a small one to get in between brackets, and one to get behind my wisdoms). Sometimes floss.
Dinner: All of the above combined.

Sometimes I'm lazy though, off course. :)

nightowl12

#14 Post by nightowl12 »

I brush at least two times a day. Morning after breakfast with a normal soft brush, interdental brush if needed, then mouthwash. Bedtime, electric toothbrush, floss, interdental brush (and sometimes I brush with normal toothbrush after this) and then mouthwash.

Sometimes I brush after lunch if I have time/am not feeling lazy.

Ziggy

#15 Post by Ziggy »

I was a brushing fanatic when I first got my braces but now I brush when I can. Get yourself a water flosser, like a WaterPik. Even after brushing you won't believe what comes flying out of your mouth when you use a WaterPik.