TADS and open bite correction experiences

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

puckloo

TADS and open bite correction experiences

#1 Post by puckloo »

Hello, I am six months into treatment with damon braces (love them) and the difference in my teeth is pretty stunning - to me, anyway. For the first time in my life, my two front teeth both face forward. I do have a significant open bite, however... so my ortho is going to put in four TADS next month, two upper and two lower. I had to google it to even figure out what these were. They're not the best communicators at my ortho, although I believe they definitely have my best interests in mind, always. Just busy - plus I am 64 years old, so perhaps they assume I know more than I do?

Everything I have read seems to indicate that TADS (temporary attachment devices) are a great way to avoid extractions (I refused) and that they are plain old magical in closing open bites. Is this true, if anyone here has experience with them? I assume they will be uncomfortable if not painful.. not sure how they could NOT hurt at least a little. I am not fearful and have certainly had worse things done to me... LOL. Just wondering if anyone has recent experiences with TADS - as most of the topics I've found here are 4-6 years old and not much discussion since.

My general dentist told me that an orthodontist who is trained and has experience with TADS is great, as they have gone an extra mile to learn every possible technique to make treatment successful. Those who are not trained send you to an oral surgeon. My ortho won my total trust when I learned he had TADS inserted in his own mouth so he would know exactly what it was like. :BigGrin: