2nd premolar sensitivity?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

istase2000

2nd premolar sensitivity?

#1 Post by istase2000 »

Hi Guys,

Another question here from a braces newbie! So when I first got my braces, it was pretty painful and I couldn't eat any solids pretty much for a week. There was also a sharp pain on the top right second premolar for a few days but that stopped fairly quickly.

Now I've had 2 adjustments, the first one was fine and didn't really hurt. However at 2nd adjustment it was all quite sore, especially the top right which was quite painful. Fast forward 2 weeks after that adjustment, I could eat but still a little tender and suddenly one night there was a shooting, sharp pain on the top right 2nd premolar during dinner. This didn't last and and it because just dull pain as before. However over the last week I've started to get sensitivity on that same tooth when I drink water - cold is pretty bad but even room temperature water can make me flinch slightly. When I bite down, it was a little uncomfortable but not really painful or anything. It's not really bad, but just really strange- has anyone had a similar situation? I've never had cold sensitivity there and never had a cavity on that tooth so I don't think it's that.

Braces2017

Re: 2nd premolar sensitivity?

#2 Post by Braces2017 »

I've gotten what your describing sometimes but it goes away. Only had my braces 2 weeks and the dentist said I also do not have any cavities and I've been brushing and flossing all the time. I just put oit down to maybe the brace is warm and because the waters cold and the tooths sore there reacting. Would love to know the answer too tho. Sometimes I think one of my teeth are going to fall out cos it's sore and wriggly

godutch

#3 Post by godutch »

I had that too after I got a powerchain. I drank same water that evening the pain was so intense it numbed me and I couldn't believe what had happened, so I drank same more water with the same pain. I thought I had developed a pulpitis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulpitis) but the pain went away after a day or so (actually that is very common after pulpitis) but the tooth actually has intact sensitivity and no signs of inflammation

istase2000

#4 Post by istase2000 »

Thanks for your reply guys!
Ortho said this is very normal with braces.
I actually went to get it checked at the dentist and they did an xray and didn't find anything. The pain kind of got better so it was unlikely a crack.