Lower bonded and now upper and lower teeth don't touch?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cocomacd

Lower bonded and now upper and lower teeth don't touch?

#1 Post by cocomacd »

I've had my uppers bonded for six weeks now and just got the lowers this week. My lowers were turned in a bit so now when the top closes down, they hit down on the brackets (they have cushions to prevent hitting the actual bracket. But the problem is now my back teeth don't bite down at all. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, what did you eat? I really can't chew normally and am only able to eat soft foods. I hope the teeth start turning out a bit and soon!!! :|
Journey Begins December 6, 2016
First time, Self ligating brackets
Age 38

Sentence: 12-18 months

Beckett

Re: Lower bonded and now upper and lower teeth don't touch?

#2 Post by Beckett »

I had that issue right from the beginning as I had upper and lower bonded at the same time. It was a while before my molars touched so I ate a lot of soup, smoothies, mashed potatoes, over cooked pasta, scrambled eggs, really anything soft that I could mash with my tongue on the roof of my mouth. Be prepared to lose a few pounds while you wait to be able to chew again.

In other words, perfectly normal. Irritating and inconvenient, but it won't last forever.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

cocomacd

#3 Post by cocomacd »

Thanks Beckett. I was feeling great about the whole process coming along until now. :-+ Its such an odd feeling and really frustrating! Good thing I am working on losing a few pounds. LOL :-*
Journey Begins December 6, 2016
First time, Self ligating brackets
Age 38

Sentence: 12-18 months

Twangsnap

#4 Post by Twangsnap »

Hi Cocomacd, I've had this problem for a number of months now, and my teeth are perfectly aligned but the bite is still slightly off. My beloved family has just become used to me eating like a wolf! I can only chew if my mouth is open 8) It's truly delightful to look at I'm sure. Anyway, it is something that you adjust to, and after a while you'll figure out how best to chow down on food. But then yes also, good way to lose weight! It will all come right but it is a weird sensation.

Skwiredmouth

#5 Post by Skwiredmouth »

I got my upper and lower bonded together yesterday and my molars dont touch either. I am having issues eating too and cant even have soft food. Only soups. I really cannot survive on soups as I am already underweight and dont want to loose anymore.

What should I do and how long it took for you guys to correct this?