Retainer for life?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

EllenR

Retainer for life?

#1 Post by EllenR »

Hello people. I hope everything is well.
I had my braces for a month now and I'm gonna get my first re-wiring on Sat. I looked on YT for videos on what will happen when the orthodontist re-wire my braces just to gather a big of knowledge on how things go. The girl I watched had another video about her retainer and I watched out of curiosity to find out that she had roughly the same condition that I have (overbite and a big gap in front teeth) and she said she will wear her retainer for two years straight, then at night only for the rest of her life. Does that really happen?!
And since I have an overbite, I didn't get rubber bands. Aren't they required for such case? my brackets have those tiny hooks on them tho, does that mean I will get rubber bands later?

Thank you in advance.

Tyrantblade

Re: Retainer for life?

#2 Post by Tyrantblade »

Retainers for life a few nights a week is pretty standard, you will probably get elastics at some point
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

EllenR

#3 Post by EllenR »

I see then. Thank you, Tyrantblade.

ditsy

#4 Post by ditsy »

Yep, afraid so. I'm surprised they didn't mention it to you? I'm getting a fixed retainer and normal ones, even with the fixed one I will still need the removable one x

EllenR

#5 Post by EllenR »

No he didn't mention it to me. He just said one year of retainer. Maybe he plans on telling me after the whole thing is over as a piece of advice or so, I'm not sure.
Fixed and removable retainers together? why, what's your condition?

NYG2007

#6 Post by NYG2007 »

I still wear mine since 2010. A few nights a week per night.
Braces worn for 2 Years 4 Days

Blog: http://nygbracesjourney.blogspot.com/

jaime

#7 Post by jaime »

My husband has been out of braces for about 20 years and still wears his retainer every night. So yes, it is a life long thing. Someone on here recently had a good line about it. Someone had asked their ortho how long they have to wear their retainer, and the ortho replied, "Well how long do you want straight teeth?"

Wearing elastics is a pretty standard part of treatment...it would be more unusual if you were never given elastics. But don't worry, they really aren't that bad.

Also, as far as getting your first adjustment, it's usually a straightforward process. Your ortho will remove the ligatures and probably give you a thicker wire, then reapply new ligs. That's the most basic adjustment anyway. :)
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

DrJasonKTam

#8 Post by DrJasonKTam »

Unfortunately teeth want to continue to shift even after treatment because the forces that caused them to become misaligned in the first place still exist (e.g. tongue, chewing, cheeks, etc). Retainers on a nightly basis will minimize the amount of movement you experience after your braces are off. Good luck with your treatment!
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

EllenR

#9 Post by EllenR »

Ok I see :)
Thank you everybody :rose:

damonmyarch

#10 Post by damonmyarch »

It is standard procedure that the patient wears the retainer every night for a year after getting braces off, then the patient can experiment with 6 days then 5 days etc. But wearing something in your sleep for perfect teeth for the rest of your life? Worth it.

EllenR

#11 Post by EllenR »

Indeed worth it. I've been to my orthodontist today for re-wiring and I asked him about that, and he said that some cases require wearing retainers for life, then he added that in my case I will have to wear it few nights a week after the standard period of wearing it 24/7
This is a photo I took today of my new power chain which I got for upper jaw. They hurt so much but it will go away in few days.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NYG2007

#12 Post by NYG2007 »

EllenR wrote:Indeed worth it. I've been to my orthodontist today for re-wiring and I asked him about that, and he said that some cases require wearing retainers for life, then he added that in my case I will have to wear it few nights a week after the standard period of wearing it 24/7
This is a photo I took today of my new power chain which I got for upper jaw. They hurt so much but it will go away in few days.
Looks great! You're coming along nicely. Those chains will help close any gaps. You will be very happy you did this.

EllenR

#13 Post by EllenR »

Thank you, NYG2007 :)
as much as it's painful, I feel excited about the whole thing and I feel the treatment started for real today :)

NYG2007

#14 Post by NYG2007 »

EllenR wrote:Thank you, NYG2007 :)
as much as it's painful, I feel excited about the whole thing and I feel the treatment started for real today :)
You're welcome. If I recall the power chains did cause some pain.

bumbleb79

#15 Post by bumbleb79 »

I'm getting a brace on Monday which will be for the third time. I'll be getting a bonded retainer and also a retainer to wear at night. After paying all this money now, he won't be wanting them to shift back to the old position and I certainly don't want them to either. I've been told that I'll have to have my bonded retainer replaced every couple of years or so if all is ok