Poll: Braces as an Adult versus Adolescent

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

r1r1r12000

Re: Poll: Braces as an Adult versus Adolescent

#16 Post by r1r1r12000 »

I had braces as an adolescent and now as an adult (35). I think about my braces more now than I did as a kid, noticing small movements, etc. I'm dramatically better at keeping things clean, following the wear schedule for elastics, and I'm sure I'll do a better job wearing retainers than I did 20 years ago. My coworker who is wearing braces right now actually brought up this question when we were discussing our braces recently. She never had braces as a kid and wished she'd done it then (she's late 20s). I think for most people (setting aside issues of growth that require earlier treatment), the ideal time to do braces would be after starting the first "real" full-time job. So 20-something for most people. Compliance with hygiene and appliance wear instructions would probably be better, retainer use would be better, adults with braces wouldn't be self-conscious if that was the normal time to have ortho.

arraye

#17 Post by arraye »

Adolescent braces pros: Many of your peers are going through the same treatment. Braces are normal. Funky colours!
Cons: School is awkward enough without braces to make you look funky too. Also you're less likely to look after your teeth.

Adult braces pros: More appreciation for braces, sentence time should go by faster, more likely to look after them well. Can booze through any pain. :D
Cons: The cost, the long waiting lists if you do qualify for free treatment, more insecurity.

sevenn

#18 Post by sevenn »

I think there are definite pros and cons to both. For my case personally, I'm very glad that I waited until I was a young adult. Back in middle school the standard and most popular treatment was extracting 4 premolars if there was any crowding and bringing all the teeth back (which is exactly what the ortho I went to see for a consult recommended; she said there wasn't room for all my teeth). I'm very lucky that a combination of finances/teenage me not wanting braces caused me to wait. The ortho I ultimately got treatment from said that pulling teeth "wouldn't be right" for my face, and now that I have the finished result I'm confident he was correct. (Oh, and my teeth did all fit in my mouth just fine!)

Adding to pros/cons everyone has already named, I will say that I think orthodontists take your wishes and concerns much more seriously as an adult. I liked the control I had over my treatment (which was considerable, since I went with Invisalign) and the feeling that I wasn't just being swept along with no idea of what they were doing or why. I had the option to refuse certain parts of the treatment and to decide at various points whether I wanted to continue or was satisfied with the result. As a teenager I don't remember feeling that kind of consideration from any dental professionals!

JanineJanine

#19 Post by JanineJanine »

I would have liked the opportunity to have braces as a teen as it would have been free of charge (NHS) and I had many friends going through it. However my compliance with hygeine, retainers, etc. may have been somewhat lower as I probably would have had less appreciation for the process.

As an adult I feel grateful to have this opportunity am really glad to be finally doing it. Owing to the cost I am more determined to get the best possible outcome by following all guidance and looking after my teeth as well as possible. Paying for treatment I feel well looked after by the ortho team and can get appointments to suit me, no waiting lists, etc.

Bondja57

#20 Post by Bondja57 »

Just finished the first part of my "brace journey". Just today in to my retainers. I am considered a senior and wished I would have did this years ago. Already receiving compliments about my smile. I think it was probably easier as an adult. My doctor is impressed as how compliant I have been with the Acceledent and my treatment.

js6js6

#21 Post by js6js6 »

As someone who’s considering round 2 as an adult…I would vote adolescent.

My main reasoning being that I’ve thought about getting braces again (not for cosmetic reasons) for several years now, and haven’t been able to drum up the confidence even though I know it’s something that would be really beneficial to me in the long run. As a teenager? Sure, I fought with my parents like hell over it, but I ultimately had no say in the matter, so it was going to happen whether I liked it or not. Also helps to have so many others in your age range going through the same thing.

Now of course, I definitely feel like I was much less engaged with my treatment back then as I would be if I were to get them again, so there are pros and cons for sure, but i often find myself longing for the simplicity of “you have to do this, no ifs, ands, or buts” these days.