How to stop worrying about the outcome?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jpetersquare

How to stop worrying about the outcome?

#1 Post by jpetersquare »

I have had braces for around a month now and I can NOT stop worrying about how the outcome would be. It is always questions like ”What if my dentist makes the results look under-done?” or ”What if he is doing the wrong thing?” or even things like ”If I do end up liking it, what if I actually need jaw surgery since it is just being camouflaged?”. I am sorry if my outlook about what I am worrying about is offending anyone reading this. I really do not intend to and I am aware that thinking like this is not right. I just want to know if anyone had the same experience, and what helped them to avoid thinking of the outcome. Thanks.

JanineJanine

Re: How to stop worrying about the outcome?

#2 Post by JanineJanine »

I'm sorry, can't really offer you any advice, but what gives me confidence about the outcome is that I have a highly qualified orthodontist managing my care, he knows what I want to achieve and I trust him. Also, all of the orthodontic assistants at the practice have great smiles after having had treatment there and are a credit to his work.

I hope as time goes on you will start to see results and feel confident with your decision.

Lostfaith

#3 Post by Lostfaith »

The ortho will make your teeth look amazing , I don't know what the issue is with your jaw but if it's just a over bite then really think carefully before having the surgery if you are happy with face already

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

If you can, perhaps just put your concerns out there and see what your ortho says. The good news is that changes occur slowly so you'll have time to assess as time goes on; the bad news is that sometimes things get worse before they get better (gaps, bite, etc.) Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

JCloNY

#5 Post by JCloNY »

djspeece wrote:If you can, perhaps just put your concerns out there and see what your ortho says. The good news is that changes occur slowly so you'll have time to assess as time goes on; the bad news is that sometimes things get worse before they get better (gaps, bite, etc.) Best of luck to you.

I agree with Dan. A gap developed between my two top front teeth. At my next appointment that was the fist question I asked "You gonna fix that, right?" :D The good side is that it is incremental so feel comfortable asking questions as you go in for adjustments.
2-year sentence of clear top and bottom braces commencing March 23, 2016
November 2016 - Class III elastics (starts from the bottom canine and goes to the upper 1st molar) on both sides
December 2016 - Two front teeth filed (IPR?) to make space to close black triangle and a power chain; 4 front bottom ceramic brackets replaced with metal brackets to force the teeth straighter; 1 broken bottom molar bracket (courtesy of a Tootsie Roll craving);

Tyrantblade

#6 Post by Tyrantblade »

I agree that knowing you have a very skilled orthodontist helps a lot, I know any of the Orthodontists where I go to are very qualified and I never need to bring up anything because they see/notice it all and make changes to fix things I don't even notice most of the time.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

Snowglobe32

#7 Post by Snowglobe32 »

The easiest way to stop worrying about the outcome??? Just know that as long as you have a good orthodontist, as long as you follow all instructions, as long as YOU are involved in your treatment and ask questions....your teeth will look much better than they did before braces! Its simple...really.

As someone who had braces for almost 4 years...there are plenty of times throughtout the process where you wonder if anything is happening...things are always happening, we just can't always see it with our eyes. We question why this or that is happening...but trust your ortho.

I mentioned being involved in your treatment and asking questions....ask as many questions as you need. I noticed many patients not asking any questions during my visits...I was very involved and wanted to know every little detail. At the end of treatment I was complimented on how well of a patient I was and my ortho said my enthusiam for his craft was something he wished every patient had.

I worried about the outcome also but in all honesty, the time goes by really quick and after a while, you'll find other things to worry about. Just know that you are fixing the issues and things will be fine! Think about all of those people out there who wished they could afford/could have braces...you're quite lucky!

BLKSAGE

#8 Post by BLKSAGE »

My girlfriend always tells me stay present (she had braces on & off a total of 8 years) Worry about those bridges when you get there.
I also have to have jaw surgery & it drives me crazy when I begin to think about my treatment but stay present!!!