Little help please *

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

finalexplosion

Re: Little help please *

#46 Post by finalexplosion »

Heidirs wrote: I have a very hard resin molded night guard. It literally sticks in your teeth because the mold is so tight. No worries on spitting that sucker out. But it cost $500 lab fee. My dentist waved the copay for me so I didn't have to pay more. Problem with it, though is once you get braces, the mold will no longer fit to your teeth. Which is why I have switched to the bit guard I linked earlier. I was shredding rubber guards to.
Thanks for your response. I know. The mold was made similarly to the molding they made of my upper and bottom teeth. They are removing the teeth lateral to my incisors. A total of four. My jaw is adult and I have too many teeth so, an extraction is inevitable. I have been given a date. I am waiting for my schedule to book this appointment.

I had dental work done and its annoying. Due to acid reflux and grinding, it trashes teeth so, yellow and pits teeth. I have lost some enamel. What would be terrifying is spending the 6K + or more and then, teeth are stained yellow. It likely will not get better with braces so, I bought this organic sea salt tooth paste from a local health store. I am using both a enamel colgate toothpaste and this organic one. I also am buying a new dental floss. I am very cautious with brushing. I trashed my gums being aggressive in my youth and unaware.

You might want to try going low carb. A lot of people have found that reducing carb intake cures their acid reflux. It did for me for a while, then came back. But if you don't want to try medication, it's worth a shot. Of course, going low carb means a higher food cost since pasta and such are cheaper than veggies. I'd recommend frozen or canned over fresh cost wise. And avoid anything with sugar. I suspect your anxiety might aggravate it too. I've noticed my reflux acts up when I'm stressed.

I hope you feel better. Take care of yourself.
I am in really good shape. I have tried paleo, keto, low carb etc. If I hit as low as 80g or less of carbs, I start getting brain fog. I tried during college and uni years ago. It was terrible especially trying to study. Thanks man, I will give it a try. I fear crowns and lost teeth, cavities especially on front teeth. I wasted so much time because I never want to do payment plans in the event I lost my job or it was outsourced.

As for frozen or canned, I appreciate your advice but, the amount of salt intake is off the charts in all that not to mention, the amount of micronutrients is miniscule. I drink zero sugar. I eat oatmeal without any sugar. I never use salt.

Yeah. I had acid reflux during running recently or rowing. I also had spells at work with office politics. It can be nasty. I use a calm app on my phone, I do guided and silent meditations, releases or yoga to help me. I am doing a martial art and praying. My routine seems to be helping as well. I appreciate you taking the time man. Thank you.

finalexplosion

#47 Post by finalexplosion »

Update:

So, I have a cleaning coming up. Since I am doing braces soon, I have made arrangements to do cleanings 2x a year. Its expensive as in $100 each visit plus anything extra required. I am freaking out and having panic attacks just thinking about how price this venture will be.

I have a question. I use to do mma and fight when I was a kid. I never lost teeth fortunately. When I was out a few years ago, my buddy was rough housing and be bumped me. Well, my teeth clicked in the process when he accidentally bumped into me. My bottom incisor hit my front tooth. I held my mouth and ran to the bathroom. My tooth was still there. What I did not notice was that, it chipped behind the tooth. Like the front is intact but, behind it, it is damaged. Also, due to crowding, you cannot tell but, once my teeth get braces, it will be plainly evident that its chipped.

I looked at crown and boding. I think bonding is what they do for this situation. Its not evident unless you are a dentist but with the slight bit of crowding, its unnoticeable. Once I get braces, the lack of symmetry will be evident. Do I look into bonding before or after braces? Also, what about teeth whitening? I am looking for some advice. When I see my dentist, I will get more info but, its looking like a 10K bill. I am sort of freaking out.

I caught myself shallow breathing and my heart racing. I know panic attacks are terrible for my acid reflux so, I am going to drink water, some tea, magnesium supplement to avoid teeth grinding, then some best rest. Tips and advice appreciated.

FlyByNight

#48 Post by FlyByNight »

http://a65.tinypic.com/2je7901.jpg

If you look at my bottom left incisor, you can see a slight chip. My ortho already tried to shape most of it away, but if he did any more, it would look wonky so I decided to leave it. The incisor next to it is also slightly chipped in the back similar to your situation. I would like to get it fixed some day.

finalexplosion

#49 Post by finalexplosion »

FlyByNight wrote:http://a65.tinypic.com/2je7901.jpg

If you look at my bottom left incisor, you can see a slight chip. My ortho already tried to shape most of it away, but if he did any more, it would look wonky so I decided to leave it. The incisor next to it is also slightly chipped in the back similar to your situation. I would like to get it fixed some day.
Your teeth looks great man. I couldn't notice anything.

I go to music festivals. My buddy was dancing quite possibly under the influence of God only knows what. When he pumped me, my bottom incisor clipped my front tooth. It is hidden by my middle front teeth ever so slightly but, if you look close, you can see it. With braces, it will look more and more pronounced.

finalexplosion

#50 Post by finalexplosion »

Alright guys, its been a bit. Thanks for the patience.

I was unfortunately locked out of both my email and my login here so, I needed to find my recovery email. Hopefully, this doesn't happen again as I would really like to share my experience with you guys as I promised. Its my way to go and show my appreciation for the support I got when I was freaking out earlier this past year. So, onto the update.

I had my teeth pulled about two weeks ago. It hurt like a complain and the top teeth were miserable especially my top right and bottom left. So we are clear, it was the 4s, the ones closest to the incisors. I was given a baggy with the teeth to keep. No clue why but, I went with it. My dentist told me to take before photos. With the numbing/freezing in, I did not much think about the Ortho who did the samething but, it will be cool to smile in pictures.

So, the plan was set for between when I started this post and October. As it would turn out, my Ortho was on vacation so, I had to wait before putting on braces. I am also told, the teeth will move into the spaces I have but, with brace, it will slowly move into place over the next few years. I am excited to have straight teeth but, the process is long and painful. Not sure what is the actual length but, I am guessing about two years.

Any advice and tips are appreciated

finalexplosion

#51 Post by finalexplosion »

Quick question. After premolars are removed, how should i best sleep? A little about me, I am a little guy but, I have sleep apnea so, sleeping is awkward. Its been a few weeks since had them removed but, I woke up today with blood in the area of a extracted tooth. It was as though I laid and or slept on it pretty hard. I am also a grinder and I have not used my night guard since the extraction.

Any suggestions for how to sleep? I woke up in a awkward area. There was a clump of blood in the area and when I rinsed, it came out but the area hurts again. It sucks because I cannot sleep on my back or i stop breathing.

finalexplosion

#52 Post by finalexplosion »

So its been over two weeks. I have noticed my lips are uncomfortable. I get badly chapped lips and it was terrible after the surgery. Also, I have canker sores on the inside of my mouth/lips/ I was worried at first it was a cold sore but, fortunately, I don't get those :D

I am awaiting braces soon. I cannot wait to get straight teeth. Anybody ever get their teeth whitened beforehand?

finalexplosion

#53 Post by finalexplosion »

Alright so, I cannot find my orthodontist? I paid for molds already and had a quote written out. I sent out emails. I called a few times. I know its summer time. I still want one last consult before getting started. My mouth has begun to heal and the shifting feeling has seemingly stopped. I was wanting to whiten my teeth before braces and I want to ask my orthodontist. Since, I have not heard from him, I have begun to call around, and price shop again.

I will likely find out, there is a reasonable excuse as to why the office is not returning my call or as to why my emails got no response yet. Still, I want to get this started because I am expecting more then 18months of braces as an adult which sucks. My fear is if I don't find him, I am going to have to pay for molds again, be out more money, and charged even more then the estimate I was given.

Of course, I started this process last summer. I got a estimate. I came back hoping to have benefits by now. Nope. I got the same quote the second time as I first did. He asked me if I was looking for prices. I explained that, he was a referral of my dentist, that they are friends, and that, I decided I am going with him. He referred to himself as a dinosaur and is planning to retire eventually. My fear is that, he retires before I do this or that, he sells off his practice. I am hopeful he just went on vacation or something. I saw him early this year. Its very unfortunate but, I am still waiting.

The next consult I have is in Aug. :( I am worried my teeth shift between now and then. Also, I am scared of a larger bill after paying for my molds and my teeth to be extracted. I already paid my dentist $600 for extractions and the Orthodontist $300 for my moldings.

finalexplosion

#54 Post by finalexplosion »

I notice translucent on tip of my front teeth. Its alarming since I am doing braces soon. I still haven't heard from my Orthodontist but, I know with Independence Day, its not shocking for people to go away, and have reduced or closed hours. I got impatient and I booked a few more consults. Unfortunately, I already spent quite a bit of money.

I am thinking of paying for 1) a whitening kit from a drugstore or 2) Dentist whitening.

My concern is that, I have GERD and bleach or peroxide is not good for the enamel or the teeth but, I could definitely use something to help whiten my teeth. When I last saw my orthodontist, he was telling me that, braces would help me fix crooked teeth, and allow for me to keep them longer.

I have terrible anxiety so, I am trying to relax but, I am worried about my teeth and the appearance of it being translucent like right at the tips. My dentist told me that front teeth by their very nature wear down like everything and anything. I am just so self conscious of my teeth and I really want this to fix.

djspeece

#55 Post by djspeece »

finalexplosion wrote:I notice translucent on tip of my front teeth. Its alarming since I am doing braces soon. I still haven't heard from my Orthodontist but, I know with Independence Day, its not shocking for people to go away, and have reduced or closed hours. I got impatient and I booked a few more consults. Unfortunately, I already spent quite a bit of money.

I am thinking of paying for 1) a whitening kit from a drugstore or 2) Dentist whitening.

My concern is that, I have GERD and bleach or peroxide is not good for the enamel or the teeth but, I could definitely use something to help whiten my teeth. When I last saw my orthodontist, he was telling me that, braces would help me fix crooked teeth, and allow for me to keep them longer.

I have terrible anxiety so, I am trying to relax but, I am worried about my teeth and the appearance of it being translucent like right at the tips. My dentist told me that front teeth by their very nature wear down like everything and anything. I am just so self conscious of my teeth and I really want this to fix.
Of course as you realize the tips (lower edges) of your teeth are the thinnest, so I am thinking it is not terribly surprising that they are somewhat translucent -- but then again, you won't be back-lighting your teeth so I doubt it will be very noticeable to most observers. And of course, like many of us, you are obsessing about all issues dental. Congrats on getting through your extractions, they are probably the hardest thing related to braces. It's all downhill from here :D . Personally, I would wait until after your braces are off for any whitening, but that is a discussion between you and your general dentist and orthodontist. If it makes you feel calmer and more confident, and the dentists agree, then by all means go for it.

I also noted that your orthodontist hinted at retirement and that he was a "dinosaur," which hints that he really doesn't want to take on new cases. You are correct to be concerned about his retirement before your treatment is complete. Sometimes it takes longer than originally planned -- in my case, for example, my two year plan stretched to three -- and you have probably noticed that this sort of thing is common. I would ask him for a recommendation for another orthodontist, someone he has confidence in, and the reasons why he is recommending this person.

Not that you asked, but you may want to consider therapy for your anxiety -- perhaps it is having a negative impact on other areas of your life. Braces are a challenge, and the better prepared you are for the inevitable ups-and-downs will help make your life a bit simpler. But in any event, best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

finalexplosion

#56 Post by finalexplosion »

djspeece wrote:
Of course as you realize the tips (lower edges) of your teeth are the thinnest, so I am thinking it is not terribly surprising that they are somewhat translucent -- but then again, you won't be back-lighting your teeth so I doubt it will be very noticeable to most observers. And of course, like many of us, you are obsessing about all issues dental. Congrats on getting through your extractions, they are probably the hardest thing related to braces. It's all downhill from here :D . Personally, I would wait until after your braces are off for any whitening, but that is a discussion between you and your general dentist and orthodontist. If it makes you feel calmer and more confident, and the dentists agree, then by all means go for it.
Thanks for the response. I was locked out which is a huge piss off. I had to reset my password a record of 3x.

So, I have acid reflux. Even my dentist said, he is a lot older then me, and noted how bad it has damaged my teeth. ATM, I am not in good shape. I was listening to a JP "universe hating you/me." It feels like this sometimes. I will give a update. Basically, when I had the extractions, all went well but one on the bottom. This is common because the mandible holds onto the bottom teeth more. Despite multiple needles, i felt the dental work so, they had to "go up stream," to switch off the nerve.

Months later, I notice immediately, teeth have shifted as one would expect. I have mistakenly forgotten to wear my night guard which is slowly beginning not to fit as well as it once did. It will be virtually useless with braces and very little alternative is available. When you have GERD, it trashes teeth, and when you grind, it pitts your teeth. Together, it is a nightmare. I worked with a woman who had black teeth. I know smothers. It sucks that, I don't drink pop, juice, eat candy or crappy sweets. Still, my teeth are yellow as if I were a smoker. Its very disheartening. I wish my parents got me braces. FML. I am a adult so, I will handle this.
I also noted that your orthodontist hinted at retirement and that he was a "dinosaur," which hints that he really doesn't want to take on new cases. You are correct to be concerned about his retirement before your treatment is complete. Sometimes it takes longer than originally planned -- in my case, for example, my two year plan stretched to three -- and you have probably noticed that this sort of thing is common. I would ask him for a recommendation for another orthodontist, someone he has confidence in, and the reasons why he is recommending this person.
I will include this turn out in my update. He is a good guy and he saved me THOUSANDS so, it will work out better then if I had gone elsewhere IMMEDIATELY. It just sucks because this process has taken far too long. I am 30. Single. Self conscious. As for teeth whitening, I likely will need it again after braces. One of my buddy's is a good looking guy. Girls are always pursuing him. I noticed his teeth aren't perfectly white like we see on youtube or on tv. I just feel like mine are terrible despite great oral hygiene, brushing, flossing, etc. Its very disheartening.
Not that you asked, but you may want to consider therapy for your anxiety -- perhaps it is having a negative impact on other areas of your life. Braces are a challenge, and the better prepared you are for the inevitable ups-and-downs will help make your life a bit simpler. But in any event, best of luck to you!
Thanks. I experienced a lot of death in my life. A lot of pain both mentally, physically, and emotionally. I am even sad typing this so, you are probably right. I am coming up on a death reunion (if that is even a thing) of a loved one. My anxiety has been spinning out of control. I drove past my dad's cemetery the other day and it flower me up pretty good. I haven't been by in awhile. It has gotten me upset. I haven't been by my sister's grave either in ages. One buddy died over Christmas. Another the year before. Its just been pretty dark the past while. I am going to meditate before bed.

finalexplosion

#57 Post by finalexplosion »

Little update:

So, my anxiety is kicking off again which blows. I am trying to meditate more because I want to keep my anxiety and GERD in check. I know what it will do to my teeth and stomach. My diet is good and I lost some weight which is good. Anyway, my orthodontist is GONE. He sold his business to another company which is a fair bit further away. I still have no benefits. It sucks. He offered me a great deal. I met for a consult with the new business he sold to and they told me immediately that, they normally charge more. A lot more. I am talking thousands.

After the consult, the consultant brought in the orthodontist who is a young girl (which did not help my anxiety). I am self conscious as is. I had these things in my mouth. They took pics. I had to smile like an idiot but, I know it is routine. They did not take molds again which I paid $300.00 for at my previous ortho office. They then called out issues with each individual tooth and used medical terminology which I have no clue what it means. Ideally, it will be a two year process and they will charge me accordingly. What they said was to either A) Pay in full *I prefer * or B) Pay monthly. Given cash flow, B) while not as preferably, it seems like the more likely option. The good news is that, they will match the price that my Orthodontist quoted me. Furthermore, unlike my Ortho, they are not requesting a large fee up front. They are going to do a 23month plan (plus, a initial fee the month of). So, $5900.00\23 months.

They wanted to get started immediately. What I want to do is pay several thousands up front in order to drop the monthly fee down. The only thing I don't like it that, they want to get my banking info. I want to use my visa and then, pay my card through online banking so I get the points. So, I am going to negotiate a deal of cash up front plus monthly fees. I was hoping to put out 3k which would make for really small payments thereafter. It all really depends on the way this can be negotiated hereafter.

ATM, I am suffering from either a twisted tooth or TMJ. My jaw is jacked up and swollen on the side that the complications happened during my extraction. The one where, the dentist had to go "up stream" to hit the nerve. He tried 3x alternatively before making this the last ditch effort. Anyway, I am booking another consult soon. I am just waiting to make sure i have steady hours before doing so. I am always terrified of debt and I have bad anxiety as is.

Thanks for listening guys. I am pretty sure my TMJ is just brought on from my crooked teeth and the fact that one side I chew on more so for whatever reason. Any further advice or tips is appreciated.

djspeece

#58 Post by djspeece »

Sounds like you are the man with a plan and congratulations for hanging in there and persevering. I'm glad the new ortho office is honoring your previous agreement and best of luck negotiating your payment schedule and method. You have a lot going on in your life so the anxiety is certainly understandable and I hope you are taking steps to cope with it all. It may be a blessing in disguise that your ortho is a female -- and of course what really matters is her skill and knowledge. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

finalexplosion

#59 Post by finalexplosion »

djspeece wrote:Sounds like you are the man with a plan and congratulations for hanging in there and persevering. I'm glad the new ortho office is honoring your previous agreement and best of luck negotiating your payment schedule and method. You have a lot going on in your life so the anxiety is certainly understandable and I hope you are taking steps to cope with it all. It may be a blessing in disguise that your ortho is a female -- and of course what really matters is her skill and knowledge. Best of luck to you.
I looked up the girl's bio and ratings. She is 5 star across the board so, that is reassuring. I appreciate the kind words. I am pretty flower up. I listened to THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR Peterson talking about living a malevolent tragedy. It very much so feels like that quite often. I downloaded the calm and headspace app for my phone. I usually do a guided meditation before bed and when I wake up. I am suffering some more dental issues so, I missed today. I am in quite a bit of physical pain. It sucks atm.

finalexplosion

#60 Post by finalexplosion »

Update:

So, I missed work today which sucks because I could definitely use the money. My face is swollen, my jaw is aching, and I got nearly no sleep before I called into work today. My lymph nodes are swollen stupid. It hurts to swallow. I called around to get a dental appointment but, there is very limited appointments so, I left a message to be placed on standby.

I went to the appointment and it just sucks. I swear I am living a malevolent tragedy like Peterson was talking about. I swear the universe hates me. So, out of the blue, my jaw starts hurting and my bite is weird. I thought it was TMJ. No. I had a filling done last year. Apparently, they did not get it in time and now, just my luck, I have a root canal therapy scheduled. I am in a god awful amount of discomfort. I am working the rest of the week and I am taking antibiotics before having my root canal done just before my scheduled shift. That is going to be a lot of fun.

The dentist is trying to save my tooth/teeth. Where a filling was done, it feels off, and it hurts to bite. They tried freezing but, I am fearful that there will be like a dual root canal or worse, they cannot save the tooth after I put out all this money. So, this will postpone braces as they need the teeth. I was expecting to put some money toward a down payment for braces but, this definitely is a setback. Not to mention, I still have some student debt which has not seemed to pay off.