Is orthodontic treatment quicker for the second time?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

xenon

Is orthodontic treatment quicker for the second time?

#1 Post by xenon »

Had the conventional metal braces when I was around 10-11, didn't wear the retainers so teeth relapsed...currently having the Ice Inspire (Sapphire) clear ceramic braces and even after two days there seems to have been considerable movement.

I guess it makes sense that teeth would be more mobile if they have been moved before - so is treatment time usually a little quicker if one has had braces before?

I've also been chewing sugar free xylitol chewing gum which some orthodontists say speeds up time of movement due to increased blood flow to the head and teeth.

Thanks!

oldfart

Re: Is orthodontic treatment quicker for the second time?

#2 Post by oldfart »

From what I heard it is now. As it takes teeth longer to move as an adult than as a kid. But hard to say for sure.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

verso

#3 Post by verso »

There's probably less work to be done, but whether that amounts to shorter treatment time or not I don't know. I imagine the teeth are no more or less pliable the second time around than the first, provided enough time has elapsed, but again, I don't know. I'm just guessing here.

sneed1o1

#4 Post by sneed1o1 »

I agree with verso. From my own experience, I had to have braces 18 months the first time around and 10 months this time around. It's been about 5 years between the orthodontia. My teeth seem to be moving faster, too. I've noticed significant movement in 1 month :thumbsup: Only time will tell!

Seasaltmind

#5 Post by Seasaltmind »

Well, I wore my braces for about three years previously. I'm in braces again and I'm said to wear them for two years but that's what I was told when i first began braces before this second time. I don't know whats going to happen. I mean, I thought I'd be wearing them less than two years, but I was wrong.

I think my teeth are moving quickly though and maybe my orthodontist will see that and the time won't be that long.