Extractions soon - freaking out!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Catpotat

Extractions soon - freaking out!

#1 Post by Catpotat »

:cry: I'm getting 4 premolars extracted this Monday. Ever since I can remember, I've been having vivid nightmares about teeth falling out - it has become one of my worst fears. I worked hard to grow them and keep them clean for 20 or so years, and now they are going to rip them out of my skull. Freaking wonderful.

Yes I know it's necessary due to the crowding I have and people say it's no big deal and there's no pain... Really? No pain from extractions? *Skeptical*

And so I lie awake at 3am, desperate for some verbal comfort to help calm this stomach-lurching anxiety I have once this weekend is over. Citizens of the archwired community, I would love to hear your thoughts, experiences and advice on extractions. Were there any things you didn't expect? I'm afraid I'm going to literally cry in the chair like a wuss and my dentist will be embarrassed for me because I'm a grown ass adult 8)

damien10

Re: Extractions soon - freaking out!

#2 Post by damien10 »

I just had extractions. The extractions themselves don't really hurt, however for me seeing the gaps made me very nervous and in a way unhappy. I hated the thought that I have teeth missing. However like you sed, it's needed and it's required. After treatment you will have no gaps and a great smile so it's good, think positive.

Lovespain5

#3 Post by Lovespain5 »

damien10 wrote:I just had extractions. The extractions themselves don't really hurt, however for me seeing the gaps made me very nervous and in a way unhappy. I hated the thought that I have teeth missing. However like you sed, it's needed and it's required. After treatment you will have no gaps and a great smile so it's good, think positive.
Yes, I totally agree. It doesn't hurt a lot, because of anesthesia. It's a little difficult for eating in the beginning but if you don't extract all the 4 the same day all will be Okay.
:?:-#):mrgreen:

cdmoses6

#4 Post by cdmoses6 »

I had to have a couple extractions too!! My advice would be this... When they start applying the different anesthesia to your gums (my dentist used some stuff stuff then shots) make sure they get numbed up really really well. They will typically check by poking the spot a little and asking if you can feel it. Make sure you tell them if you can feel anything AT ALL! Just to make sure you're as numbed up as possible. I have had good experiences with this just making sure I got as much local anesthesia as necessary. Good luck to you!!!
Braces on March 6th, 2015
Metal Empower self-ligating brackets, upper and lower
Class II, Division II overbite with crowding
Upper 2nd premolars extracted May 1st, 2015
First Powerchain and Class II Manatee Elastics June 15th, 2015
TADs placed July 27th, 2015
Box Manatee Elastics April 1st, 2016
Teeth shaping May 4th, 2016

My Progress: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48229

Gafs

#5 Post by Gafs »

My advice would be don't worry! Although like you I was terrified! I had 4 premolars taken out 2 and then 2 a few months later and it really isn't that bad- I found a filling to be worse! It feels weird him poking around so much, I kept my eyes glued shut so I couldn't see any instruments/ teeth but it doesn't hurt at all just the injections sting but get numbing gel if your worried about that. It will be over really quick and then it's lots of TV and soft foods to recover. Good luck but you will be proud of yourself for going through it and having beautiful teeth at the end!

djspeece

#6 Post by djspeece »

There is definitely discomfort after the procedure which varies widely among patients. Take pain meds as prescribed and before the discomfort / pain becomes too much. And of course follow the relatively simple postop instructions. Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Catpotat

#7 Post by Catpotat »

Thank you everyone for the support and advice, it's been interesting hearing your thoughts. I'm going to try and get numbed up so much I won't be able to feel my face :)

Another question I have is if doing it all in one go, or one side at a time is better? I know you can eat on the other side if you do half half, but then you can get it all over and done with in one go. I'm afraid I might not want to go back after the first round haha

Catpotat

#8 Post by Catpotat »

Would just like to update that I've gone through with it and survived :-*

It took just over an hour and I was able to listen to music from my earphones
which reeeally helped take my mind off some of the pain.
Need to swallow some pain killers but I physically cannot yet. Here's to a smooth recovery! :lol:

Catpotat

#9 Post by Catpotat »

cdmoses6 wrote:I had to have a couple extractions too!! My advice would be this... When they start applying the different anesthesia to your gums (my dentist used some stuff stuff then shots) make sure they get numbed up really really well. They will typically check by poking the spot a little and asking if you can feel it. Make sure you tell them if you can feel anything AT ALL! Just to make sure you're as numbed up as possible. I have had good experiences with this just making sure I got as much local anesthesia as necessary. Good luck to you!!!
Your advice helped me so much, thank you a thousand times!