Extraction of bicuspids and benefits on the profile

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

badbraces

Re: Extraction of bicuspids and benefits on the profile

#31 Post by badbraces »

not really sure, but if I'm measuring from a ruler I'm thinking maybe around 10mm? how much was yours?

Lovespain5

#32 Post by Lovespain5 »

badbraces wrote:not really sure, but if I'm measuring from a ruler I'm thinking maybe around 10mm? how much was yours?
Nearly 8mm. The orthodontist chose the maximum retraction possible, to obtain a perfectly straight profile and to achieve a perfect Class I relationship of the molars without any gaps.

A photo of my smile in profile.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:?:-#):mrgreen:

sneed1o1

#33 Post by sneed1o1 »

Lovespain5 wrote:I had powerchains too, during nearly all my treatment. They were double for most of the time.
Like you, I had gaps between my incisors on the middle of the treatment. So that's the proof that your teeth are moving back well!
Moreover I had a special arch with loops, to accentuate the moving back of my teeth.
I had elastics for 18 months (always with the strength "extra-heavy" :crazy:), especially class II elastics. But I had all the configurations: the class III, a triangular one and elastic in one side only to perfect the center too! :crazy:
Hope you won't suffer as much as I suffered but the orthodontist will probably give you some elastics too I think.
I think I have slight protrusion, too, along with the open bite and underbite :crazy: I noticed you said your orthodontist had you alternating class II and class III elastics during your treatment. Do you think it's mainly the elastics that help with the protrusion, or do you think the wires played a pretty big part in correcting it, too? Albeit, I didn't have to get any extractions (as I had my wisdom teeth removed on my first round of braces), but he has done IPR on my second adjustment, no wire changes yet.

Lovespain5

#34 Post by Lovespain5 »

sneed1o1 wrote:
Lovespain5 wrote:I had powerchains too, during nearly all my treatment. They were double for most of the time.
Like you, I had gaps between my incisors on the middle of the treatment. So that's the proof that your teeth are moving back well!
Moreover I had a special arch with loops, to accentuate the moving back of my teeth.
I had elastics for 18 months (always with the strength "extra-heavy" :crazy:), especially class II elastics. But I had all the configurations: the class III, a triangular one and elastic in one side only to perfect the center too! :crazy:
Hope you won't suffer as much as I suffered but the orthodontist will probably give you some elastics too I think.
I think I have slight protrusion, too, along with the open bite and underbite :crazy: I noticed you said your orthodontist had you alternating class II and class III elastics during your treatment. Do you think it's mainly the elastics that help with the protrusion, or do you think the wires played a pretty big part in correcting it, too? Albeit, I didn't have to get any extractions (as I had my wisdom teeth removed on my first round of braces), but he has done IPR on my second adjustment, no wire changes yet.
I think that the rubber bands, the powerchains and the wires worked very well together. If I hadn't wear one of them, probably my protrusion wouldn't have been completly corrected at the end of the treatment.

Lovespain5

#35 Post by Lovespain5 »

sneed1o1 wrote:
Here's a photo of my profile after treatment. After 32 months of braces, I can close my mouth properly now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sneed1o1

#36 Post by sneed1o1 »

Great side profile! Did your orthodontist do any IPR or teeth reshaping? My teeth are kind of thick on the edges, I would love to be able to slenderize the edges of my teeth like your's!

Lovespain5

#37 Post by Lovespain5 »

sneed1o1 wrote:Great side profile! Did your orthodontist do any IPR or teeth reshaping? My teeth are kind of thick on the edges, I would love to be able to slenderize the edges of my teeth like your's!
Yes! I had IPR on my lateral incisors.
In the treatment plan, my orthodontist chosed to realize very slight distorsions on my upper jaw to keep my smile natural and avoiding the denture effect.
So my lateral incisors cover very slightly the central ones, and my canines go slightly over the other teeth. The IPR had been made to enhance the effect.

badbraces

#38 Post by badbraces »

Lovespain5 wrote:
sneed1o1 wrote:
Here's a photo of my profile after treatment. After 32 months of braces, I can close my mouth properly now.
lovespain, can you post your before side profile? I'm curious about the before and after. Thanks!

Lovespain5

#39 Post by Lovespain5 »

[quote="badbraces"]

badbraces

#40 Post by badbraces »

thanks, mine seems to be a lot worse! good news though my dentist finally started removing my premolars! I had 2 of my upper premolars removed yesterday :jump:

Lovespain5

#41 Post by Lovespain5 »

badbraces wrote:thanks, mine seems to be a lot worse! good news though my dentist finally started removing my premolars! I had 2 of my upper premolars removed yesterday :jump:
Hope you are going to recover easily! Which premolars will be extracted? The 4 first of them?

How long is estimated your treatment?

Samahir

#42 Post by Samahir »

Hi I'm new here!

I had my 4 1st premolars extracted 3 days ago (on the second of October) to correct bimaxillary protrusion. Can't wait to start seeing changes!

secondtimewithbraces

#43 Post by secondtimewithbraces »

can somebody reply to my thread i made so depressed about it

Lovespain5

#44 Post by Lovespain5 »

Samahir wrote:Hi I'm new here!

I had my 4 1st premolars extracted 3 days ago (on the second of October) to correct bimaxillary protrusion. Can't wait to start seeing changes!
Nice! Good luck for your treatment!
Don't hesitate asking me questions if you need. I finished my treatment so I can answer you in much points.

Lovespain5

#45 Post by Lovespain5 »

secondtimewithbraces wrote:can somebody reply to my thread i made so depressed about it
This thread is about positive experiences after extractions.
About bad experiences, you can post in the following thread : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45738