He's staring at me!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

oldfart

He's staring at me!!

#1 Post by oldfart »

Why is it so hard to mentally put your elastics in after taking them out to brush in the morning? Just went to work, emptied my pockets and this little Impala on my elastics bag is staring at me!!! Making me feel guilty. I swear, hes giving me the evil eye.

That is all, time to put my face back in elastic jail.

of
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

djspeece

Re: He's staring at me!!

#2 Post by djspeece »

That's funny. Although I was recently relieved of my duty to wear elastics, I too would do the same thing. I purposely put the bag in a prominent location on my waterpik stationed directly in front of me so that I COULD NOT MISS IT AFTER BRUSHING FOR GOD'S SAKE and of course about 2 days a week it would dawn on me as I drove into work that I was without elastics, and that the bag I kept in my office would undoubtedly taunt me. "What's the matter Danny Boy, did you forget something this morning? Oh Mr. Big Shot can't remember to put in his elastics. Is it too much for your pea brain?" And so forth.
And yes, I have issues
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

oldfart

#3 Post by oldfart »

The closer to the end I get, the more issues I have. With everything in, i am completely locked shut unless I really force it open. So it definitely is a release from prison when I take them out and going back to Jail when they are put back in. And the Impala staring at me from my elastic bag is the warden!

of

oldfart

#4 Post by oldfart »

I just realized that my little turtle time tracker for how long I have had braces shows I have had them 2 yrs and 7 months, with the end being at 10 years. I wonder if he knows something I don't.

djspeece

#5 Post by djspeece »

oldfart wrote:I just realized that my little turtle time tracker for how long I have had braces shows I have had them 2 yrs and 7 months, with the end being at 10 years. I wonder if he knows something I don't.
If it's any consolation is does make me feel better about having them on for only 3 years.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

jaime

#6 Post by jaime »

I wear elastics like it's my friggin job. It's probably the only thing I'm 100% compliant about when it comes to braces. I'm pretty much guilty of all the orthodontic sins (including doubling up on elastics and changing my own ligs...oops was that aloud?).
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

EWUgal15

#7 Post by EWUgal15 »

jaime wrote:I wear elastics like it's my friggin job. It's probably the only thing I'm 100% compliant about when it comes to braces. I'm pretty much guilty of all the orthodontic sins (including doubling up on elastics and changing my own ligs...oops was that aloud?).
Elastics really are a job.

And changing your own ligs? I've never done that, but 2 days ago, I had to use some floss to re-ligate a bracket with my power chain. That was a lot more difficult than flossing a separator back in.

jaime

#8 Post by jaime »

I bought clear ligs and the clamp tool before I got my braces. I only ever change the front 4 (I only have 6 ceramic brackets anyway) and I don't even do it that often (maybe once between appointments, if that). It is a total PITA. Every time I go to the orthodontist's, I marvel at how quickly they can put them on. But I never say anything because I know I'm not supposed to change my own!

How in the heck did you use floss to put a power chain back on a bracket? Did you thread it through and pull it over the bracket?

I don't know if you have one of those plaque scraper (like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dentek-Scaler ... t/10312778) but they are pretty handy when it comes to braces, ligs, etc.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

EWUgal15

#9 Post by EWUgal15 »

jaime wrote:How in the heck did you use floss to put a power chain back on a bracket? Did you thread it through and pull it over the bracket?
Yes. That's exactly what I did. I've flossed between my wire and power chain before to get food chunks out (before I had a waterpik), so it was not my first time working with that part. Stretching the link wide was the hardest part, even though the chain was only half off the bracket. I had to pull one side at a time to loop the chain back over the two top points of the bracket. I find it to be one of my finer moments with braces, but I don't dare mention it anywhere but here.

oldfart

#10 Post by oldfart »

I am probably the only one around insane enough to ask for more elastics than the ortho suggested. I have a hard stop in December due to finances so want as much movement as I can get. So she said i only had to wear four total. When i asked if I could wear to try to get a bit more closure to then she said sure, asked to see what I was asking for and said OK.

When I get them in its, its like OMFG these are tight, and then for an hour I hope no one comes by that wants me to talk as openning my mouth within the first hour isn't possible.

NeilH

#11 Post by NeilH »

oldfart wrote:Why is it so hard to mentally put your elastics in after taking them out to brush in the morning? Just went to work, emptied my pockets and this little Impala on my elastics bag is staring at me!!! Making me feel guilty. I swear, hes giving me the evil eye.

That is all, time to put my face back in elastic jail.

of
I know the feeling. I wore my class 2 elastics 24/7 even for eating and only had them out whilst I was cleaning my teeth but the most recent configuration, what a nightmare. I wear them each night but getting 12 hours wear in is proving so difficult. I don't know what the issue is? Yes they are more restrictive and are much more visible, yes they affect my speech a bit and stop me from snacking but honestly, what is the big deal? I happily wear them almost full time at weekends but just can't seem to pluck up the courage to wear them at work. What's wrong with me?

oldfart

#12 Post by oldfart »

Whats the setup?

NeilH

#13 Post by NeilH »

oldfart wrote:Whats the setup?
Box seating elastics both sides and an anterior cross bite elastic from upper left canine to lower right canine. Minimum 12 hours wear per day but happy with full time if I keep an eye on progress.

metalliKa

#14 Post by metalliKa »

I have a silly question...

When you have rubber bands criss-crossing all over your teeth, does your significant other find it off putting when kissing?

:crazy: :jokerlaugh:

I asked because my BF wasn't and still isn't too enthused about my braces. He says I remind him of 007's nemesis, Jaws, when I smile. Anyways, who knows what he'll think once I get rubber bands? The thought of it makes me laugh already.
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

Tyrantblade

#15 Post by Tyrantblade »

Some of you are really silly, im actually trying to be pretty much perfect while i have braces and whenever i misplace some of my elastics i freak out, even though i do have more than enough for one day in one bag.

I could never just forget to put them in, or change them semi-regularly (sometimes longer than average though, but not long enough to lose significant pressure)

My only weird thing with elastics is im a bit OCD with trying to put them in perfect (as in if they get a little twisted, even if on the right teeth, i feel like i have to keep trying to put them in perfect)
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17