Plaque/tartar

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

DanInVA

Plaque/tartar

#1 Post by DanInVA »

Really having trouble controlling buildup. Globs of it above the brackets next to the gum line on the surface of the tooth. My cleaning has dropped off slightly but even at my best it was still a struggle. After a cleaning at my dentist a few months back I was disappointed in the results. My teeth still felt textured and slimy. I don't know if it was a half hearted cleaning or not the right tools. But yea

bbsadmin

Re: Plaque/tartar

#2 Post by bbsadmin »

Tell them that you want your teeth cleaned with the Cavitron (it's a water-based machine that can be used in place of most scraping). Also, do you use a Waterpik on a regular basis? If not, that would help.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Ridingboots

#3 Post by Ridingboots »

Have you tried a water pik I find it a tremendous help and rarely floss because of it

Schedule
Braces Installed 23 Oct 2014
Adjustment - 18 Dec 14, 19 Feb 15, 7 Apr
5 Mar 15 Palate installed
Somewhere in the Future- Double Jaw Surgery

leelou905

#4 Post by leelou905 »

Waterpik is a god send when you have braces and find flossing very difficult ( but you should still try to floss manually when you can )
Make sure you're brushing in all directions, treat it like you're brushing each section; on top of the brackets, undernethe the brackets, above the brackets below the brackets and in between. If you start concentrating on each section until you've done that entire row and then move onto the next section you will find all of your areas of your teeth and braces will have been covered. There shouldn't be any plaque left, you need to really pay special attention when brushing with braces because its not as simple as people think!

Anyway, If it were me, I would just up my routine and be getting knee deep in there with an electric toothbrush and waterpik :)
26 years - Needed braces since forever - very severely overcrowded teeth - now missing both my lateral incisors - laterlizing the canines - started braces treatment 22nd July 2015 - metal braces silver ligs - from UK Nottingham - Robin Hood lives here :)

ljms

#5 Post by ljms »

Have you tried a sonic toothbrush? I switched to one about six months after getting braces. I could tell after a couple of weeks that it was better and my dental hygenist notices too.