Say it, don't spray it!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TheProfessor

Say it, don't spray it!

#1 Post by TheProfessor »

I've had my braces for over 15 months and have noticed in the last week that I am "spraying it" every time I start talking. It is embarrassing, especially at work! Is it because of the new positions of my teeth, or am I just salivating more this week, or is it a combo??? I have noticed that my overjet is almost gone (especially since I got the finishing wires on my uppers a month ago), and my upper brackets feel like they are rubbing against a different part of my lip now. Has anyone else had this problem? Will it go away or am I doomed to spit on people for the next 8 months???
Braces installed on March 25, 2014: Damon clears on top and metal on bottom.
I had braces for 25 months!

djspeece

Re: Say it, don't spray it!

#2 Post by djspeece »

I spray randomly, but always at the most inopportune moment (e.g., talking to one of my staff about one of their personal issues, and so forth). Never happens when I am out in the yard conversing with the gnats and mosquitos (thought: maybe cursing prevents spraying). Also, I have upped my spraying game -- one of my salivary glands located in the bottom sometimes just unleashes when I move my mouth just right, sending a mini-gusher outward with a quickness. People who see would probably think I do it on purpose, like a baseball player or something. I'm a mess.

Oh, and yes you are doomed to spraying everyone. Just post a biohazard sign outside your office.

Just kidding. I would guess that it will stop as quickly as it began.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

TheProfessor

#3 Post by TheProfessor »

Ha! I'm thinking about issuing face shields to my grad students! Luckily, they are too polite to say anything when it happens. I've probably been spitting on them the whole time and it took me 15 months to notice it! :crazy:

jamiegonzales56

#4 Post by jamiegonzales56 »

My F's and S's are the worst! I have been covering my mouth when I have to say "french fries" or "seashells"!

TheProfessor

#5 Post by TheProfessor »

jamiegonzales56 wrote:My F's and S's are the worst! I have been covering my mouth when I have to say "french fries" or "seashells"!
I'm ok with F's, but my name starts with an Sh, which is terrible to say dryly. I may have to start using a different name at Starbucks :D

currystained

#6 Post by currystained »

I've always been a bit of a messy talker, but oh dear gawd. The dribbling during sleep? That's new. And entirely unwelcome.

TheProfessor

#7 Post by TheProfessor »

currystained wrote:I've always been a bit of a messy talker, but oh dear gawd. The dribbling during sleep? That's new. And entirely unwelcome.
I know what you mean, I often wake up with a soggy pillow!

On the bright side, I don't seem to be spitting on people as much this week (or I'm better at ignoring it ;) )

autumn9285

#8 Post by autumn9285 »

jamiegonzales56 wrote:My F's and S's are the worst! I have been covering my mouth when I have to say "french fries" or "seashells"!
When I first got my braces on I'd whistle every time I said an f word. Everyone else thought it was amusing :lol: me not so much.

djspeece

#9 Post by djspeece »

I'm feeling better about my situation as I read through these posts :wink: .
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Kissyface30

#10 Post by Kissyface30 »

Oh goodness!! These stories are hilarious..good to know what I have to look forward to lol.

Ridingboots

#11 Post by Ridingboots »

Love this topic made me giggle as I can relate to it in so many ways

Since I have had the expander and braces I have become a serial drooler and alway seems to be when I am on train dozing :-Z and next thing I feel big long bit of drool running down my chin ..... I quickly wipe it off hoping no one notices. :crazy:

Schedule
Braces Installed 23 Oct 2014
Adjustment - 18 Dec 14, 19 Feb 15, 7 Apr
5 Mar 15 Palate installed
Somewhere in the Future- Double Jaw Surgery