Does your ortho office have assigned assistants?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

prairiehouse

Does your ortho office have assigned assistants?

#1 Post by prairiehouse »

You know the people that change your wire and attach the ligatures? Does your orthodontist's office assign them to you for the duration of your treatment, or do you whoever is available at the time? Did they let you know that you were assigned to the assistant (when treatment began) and did you have a choice?

Mine doesn't, but I've read that some offices do do this.

Thanks.

parsleysage

Re: Does your ortho office have assigned assistants?

#2 Post by parsleysage »

I've had different ones each time I go. I also don't know their names - they don't introduce themselves and I usually forget to ask. I actually put that feedback in a survey they sent me. (Yes, my ortho sent me a customer satisfaction survey lol!)

TMJJill

#3 Post by TMJJill »

I typically had one of two assistants who worked with me. I knew all of them in the office though.

There was one who was new and young and had too heavy of a touch for my TMJ issues. I called and talked to them and she never worked on me again. It was a bit awkward because sometimes she was the one available and I'd sit there waiting, but she was still nice to me.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

mmkay

#4 Post by mmkay »

First few times the assistant was one young woman. The last few times it has been a different young woman.

At the first appointment the assistant provided some instructions on how to clean my teeth and apply wax. Aside from that here is the extent of my contact with the assistant:

Assistant: mmkay? Hi, how are you today.
Me: Hi.

The assistant's hands don't go near my mouth, she just stands by and hands items to the orthodontist.

Nozzelnut

#5 Post by Nozzelnut »

There's a few assistants that work in the office; 6 or so.

I've only had 2 of the 6 work with me over the last couple weeks. Not sure if it's my age or them, but they've always worked well with me. Both have been working with my ortho for 12-16 years; so I'm guessing he likes what they do and has confidence in their work.

My last regular appointment; I brought donuts and coffee for everyone; just in case I have any of the other girls work on me. If I can't win them over with humor; I'll do it with food.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

tamiddavis

#6 Post by tamiddavis »

I've had the same girl every time, HOWEVER they are not assigned. I thought it was odd, because at my last appointment she goes, "Wow I've had you for all of your appointments!" And I was like "oh, you mean you don't always get the same patients?" She said no, she just happens to get handed my chart every time, but that she loves it because then she can see the progress. I hope I keep getting her, I like her a lot, and I have no idea who the other people are.

ljms

#7 Post by ljms »

I've had a different assistant each time. I don't mind seeing a different one each time. They're all very good.

The big advantage to not assigning an assistant is fast turnaround. The assistants call patients in the order in which the patients arrived at the office. My appointments are usually really quick without any wait time.

djspeece

#8 Post by djspeece »

My ortho uses 3 assistants, and they appear to be randomly assigned, but I typically get the same two. They are pretty good with their little quirks. One complains about the difficulty putting elastics over Damon brackets (was not impressed with the attitude) and seems to be a bit on the whiney side in general, and has less adept hand-eye coordination (as a nurse I am very aware of this); the other was an RN in South America and about which we have had some interesting conversations; she is very slick with the instrumentation and loves to warn me about all the pain I am going to have and so forth. I like to tease her back, daring her to get the ortho to add more torture devices because so far it is a piece of cake. That's not exactly true of course but I like to have at least a little fun in the chair.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

kathydell

#9 Post by kathydell »

My ortho's office used 3 assistants as well and I've gotten all 3 of them at various times. Luckily they are all very good, although I will say one is definitely better and I always cross my fingers for her.

Bikerchick85

#10 Post by Bikerchick85 »

Mine has 6 assistants assigned at random. I like most of them. Some are the same women that were there when I had braces as a teenager. There's a section on their check-in screen for notes (I suppose I coiuld request a certain assistant..) But I never do. I'm hoping I get my favorite one at debanding.. maybe I should call and request her... :)

MY STORY.. http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=43860

*4 Premolar Extractions-Nov. 29th, 2012*
*Upper Ceramic Braces-Dec. 11, 2012*
*Lower Metal Braces-Feb. 11th, 2013*
*Est. Sentence-24 months*

Featheryy1221

#11 Post by Featheryy1221 »

My ortho has like 10-12 assistants (he has four or five offices). For a few visits, I got the same assistant, but now I get a different one each time. Usually its just whoevers free gets to see me. They're all friendly and likeable people though. I do have some I get along with better than others, usually the ones that are sarcastic as I'm really sarcastic myself.
They're all great there though, except maybe not one of the receptionists they had, cause she had an bad attitude a lot of the time. Lol.

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months

SpottedPickle

#12 Post by SpottedPickle »

I go to a privately owned Ortho. He is the only doctor and he has only one chair side assistant. The other two assistants are for the labs and such. So I will only be seeing my doctor and his one assistant.

arciedee

#13 Post by arciedee »

I generally see a different assistant every time I go. Occasionally I've gotten one a couple times in a row, but I think it's purely been coincidental. Some I like more than others, but all seem friendly and relatively knowledgeable. My recent visits have mostly just been check-ins anyway for me to pick up more trays (I'm an Invisalign patient, obviously!), so there hasn't really been anything for them to do other than write the change dates on the packets and find the ortho to do his assessment.

Ambrosia80

#14 Post by Ambrosia80 »

I usually see a different assistant each time. I did have the same lady twice in a row these past two visits, and I never want to have her again! She is way too rough and doesn't pay very much attention to what she's doing (when I look up at her, she's looking at other patients--while she's working on me!), and she messes up a lot and has to redo things over and over--OUCH!! Last time I left my ortho office with back cramps and sweating. It was bad. Sigh.. So...you can request another assistant??
Damon braces- ceramic uppers, metal lowers

sentence: 15-18 months (Sept.-Dec. 2014)

MrsCharisma

#15 Post by MrsCharisma »

Ambrosia80 wrote: So...you can request another assistant??
When you're paying, you call some shots!! Call before your next appt and tell them you don't want her to work on you.

My ortho has 4-5 assistants. One is my fave but none are bad.

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]