Elastics Wear, Is Unequal Change Common?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mapleleafman888

Elastics Wear, Is Unequal Change Common?

#1 Post by mapleleafman888 »

Ok so here is a question for anyone who's had elastics...

I got elastics about 6 weeks ago now, they are in the exact same configurations of both sides, exact same strength too, but my upper left side has moved downward quite a bit further than my upper right and is quite painful.

Visually I can see the change on the left side too. I believe the technical term for this called 'maxillary canting' or just 'maxillary cant'. My left side was already lower than the right to begin with so now the 'cant' is getting more canted.

Has anyone experienced this or similar? It just seems weird to me that identical elastic wear would cause change on only one side...I'm wondering maybe if one of my teeth on my upper right side is fused to the bone?

I will be asking the ortho in 11 days when I go ( I am also aware things get worse before they get better :crazy: ), just thought someone could share their experience.
My story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45354
Upper and Lower Damon Braces for 18 months!
I met 46 braceface adults when I had braces myself!

jtsang

Re: Elastics Wear, Is Unequal Change Common?

#2 Post by jtsang »

I am worried as well because I notice some uneven changes since having elastic for two weeks. Please share with me what your ortho says?

mapleleafman888

#3 Post by mapleleafman888 »

jtsang wrote:I am worried as well because I notice some uneven changes since having elastic for two weeks. Please share with me what your ortho says?
For sure I will post either here or in my story.
My story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45354
Upper and Lower Damon Braces for 18 months!
I met 46 braceface adults when I had braces myself!

fosterp

#4 Post by fosterp »

I had a similar experience. One side of my bite would easily "collapse" when elastic pressure was placed there. The other side of my bite refused to even budge - my left lateral incisor actually refused to move during my entire treatment, and we ended up taking the braces off with less than perfectly even upper teeth. My ortho couldn't really explain why that tooth wouldn't move, other than the "fused to bone" theory.

The willingness of your teeth to move in a certain direction probably is related to how your bite was before braces. Teeth love to move back to where they were.