I've got good but strange news!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Cyborger

I've got good but strange news!

#1 Post by Cyborger »

Good news is: I've been told that I may be getting my braces off in a couple of weeks. If everything looks good to them during my next appointment I'll be getting them off and I'll be getting a retainer.

Strange thing about it is: I'm not entirely sure I'm ready. I've brought this up once or twice before but on the right side of my mouth the gum line under my canine tooth is lower than the gum line on the left canine tooth. It looks like it's still incomplete. I'm hoping the current way I have my elastics will do the trick.

Is it possible to get a second opinion from another orthodontist without being their patient? Just to have them give my teeth a look.

fosterp

Re: I've got good but strange news!

#2 Post by fosterp »

If you are referring to the canines on the bottom arch - I think its a lot harder to intrude those teeth because of the anatomy of the lower jaw. They can level the bite plane, but the bite is leveled through tipping of the anterior teeth rather than intrusion, so the gum lines will stay relatively the same.

If you look at a lot of before + after pictures you will see that uneven gumlines on the lower arch is relatively common.

Cyborger

#3 Post by Cyborger »

Oh, I see. In that case it's all good news. I still hope they're sure though. I only want these things coming off when it's time for them to come off.

sirwired

#4 Post by sirwired »

Is the arch itself level in relation to your jaw? If it is, there's not really anything the ortho can do about your gumline, as intruding/extruding teeth would make the gumline level, but the teeth canted.