Regret Biscupid Extractions! Reopen Space with Expander?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SummerDec

Regret Biscupid Extractions! Reopen Space with Expander?

#1 Post by SummerDec »

Hi, here's a little background: I got my 4 of my premolar extracted 6 years ago when I was 15 due to crowding. But then I noticed that I have a short smile with only 6 teeth showing and that my nasolabial lines are becoming pretty prominent so I suspected it is due to the extractions.

Right now I am in my 5th month of treatment with Damon braces, hoping to reverse the facial damage. I have been hoping that the orthodontist will use a palatal expander on me to broaden out my smile. However he is pretty much against using an expander on me because he thinks that my teeth may get pushed out of my bones. Also he doesn't think my arch is that restricted and that I just need to have some of my teeth that are tipped in to be straightened out with wires. But I was also hoping to reopen the space and get implants as I believe that would really help to plump out the area from the corner of my nose to my mouth... My orthodontist then suggested that if after 2 months I still insist on reopening space, he could do it with reverse facemask (even though he still doesn't think it's a good idea, saying that my mouth may protrude out too much)

However I have read a lot of people, when going through the reversing extractions, used a palatal expander to expand and create space so I don't know if I should keep talking to my orthodontist to convince him to use it in my case.

Please let me know what you think! Would greatly appreciate any share of opinions/experience!

Thanks!

Lalaloo

Re: Regret Biscupid Extractions! Reopen Space with Expander?

#2 Post by Lalaloo »

I am sorry, i have no experience with extraction so i am not much of a help. I just hope everything will be ok for you, the way you want.
But there is one thing i want to say...to everybody: people, keep all your healthy teeth in your mouth. If your ortho insists that extraction of healthy teeth is a MUST, then change the ortho. Don't give up so easily on your teeth. They won't grow again. Get rid of your wisdom teeth, but never your premolars.

Plumcore

#3 Post by Plumcore »

@Lalaloo : I don't quite agree..I've had bracers for well over 2 years now, and my ortho only suggested extraction of premolars (over 1 year in the treatment) after the xray showed my profile to be bulging out due to front teeth being pushed forward because of lack of space. And now if you look at my smile it looks as it should. Now i'm not saying this happy ending is for everyone, but i don't agree with others saying that people should outright refuse extractions out of principle. In the end it's a personal choice based on a treatment plan made by a trained physician.

As for Summers predicament, maybe you could seek a second or third opinion, different orthos make different choices. It's a big plan so asking more orthos isn't a bad idea imo. I hope you get the result you want either way. Good luck!

Bikerchick85

#4 Post by Bikerchick85 »

Plumcore wrote:@Lalaloo : I don't quite agree..I've had bracers for well over 2 years now, and my ortho only suggested extraction of premolars (over 1 year in the treatment) after the xray showed my profile to be bulging out due to front teeth being pushed forward because of lack of space. And now if you look at my smile it looks as it should. Now i'm not saying this happy ending is for everyone, but i don't agree with others saying that people should outright refuse extractions out of principle. In the end it's a personal choice based on a treatment plan made by a trained physician.

As for Summers predicament, maybe you could seek a second or third opinion, different orthos make different choices. It's a big plan so asking more orthos isn't a bad idea imo. I hope you get the result you want either way. Good luck!
I second what Plumcore has stated. Extractions don't always have a negative result. I also had a protrusive profile and extractions were my only option. You can view my pics in my story here. I just added my profile progression pics and otherd at 11 months of treatment...http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=43860
SummerDec, I am sorry you had negative results from your lrevious treatment :( I would definitely seek a second or third opinion on how to reopen your spaces. There are some members here that are also reversing bicuspid extractions. Good luck to you! Keep us updated on your journey! :)

MY STORY.. http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=43860

*4 Premolar Extractions-Nov. 29th, 2012*
*Upper Ceramic Braces-Dec. 11, 2012*
*Lower Metal Braces-Feb. 11th, 2013*
*Est. Sentence-24 months*

sirwired

#5 Post by sirwired »

Your may have a narrow smile because you have a narrow face, and the extractions were done to fit your teeth into a too-small arch. While improper extractions can indeed cause problems, it's hard to tease out cause and effect. (Although if you have some pictures right before the extractions vs. now, that could be useful.)

SummerDec

#6 Post by SummerDec »

Thanks for all the response!

sirwired wrote:
> Your may have a narrow smile because you have a narrow face, and the extractions
> were done to fit your teeth into a too-small arch. While improper extractions can
> indeed cause problems, it's hard to tease out cause and effect. (Although if you
> have some pictures right before the extractions vs. now, that could be useful.)

I'd like to post the pictures but I can't figure out how I can attach them here. Any ideas?

Plumcore

#7 Post by Plumcore »

I think you need a few more posts before you can attach images, last time i remember it was 10 posts. Hang around more and then you can attach them via the reply button :)

SummerDec

#8 Post by SummerDec »

Plumcore wrote:
> I think you need a few more posts before you can attach images, last time i remember
> it was 10 posts. Hang around more and then you can attach them via the reply button
> :)

Thanks!!!:)

Also when I was getting my teeth cleaned yesterday I consulted with the dentist there. He said his wife actually had the palatal expansion non surgically but he doesn't think I need any of that because he thinks my arch is perfectly fine... Guess it's good thing but why, why do see the hollow around the corner of my nose?? Swore they weren't there before the extractions!

Plumcore

#9 Post by Plumcore »

Hmm..maybe it's something else causing them. You could also consult with an esthetic surgeon, he can probably tell you if this could cause it.