There must be something in the water

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kipepeo

Re: There must be something in the water

#31 Post by Kipepeo »

I picked up my new Vivera retainers today. I like them so much better than the softer temporary Bioforms I had. These are really clear and harder. In fact they are actually thicker and more durable than the regular Essix retainers, and they come with 4 sets that I can rotate out every few months as the plastic begins to give a little.

The old retainers were a softer opaque plastic, which looked awful on my teeth, but were quite fun to chew on! Like a rawhide or something. These new ones are rigid and don't bend at all.

It was hard for me to snap the top one in, but I did it in one try. The lower was a different story. I got one side engaged but could not get the other one to even start to fit. The ortho had to put his 2 thumbs on my teeth while his other fingers got leverage under my chin and squeeze that sucker down. It is really, really tight, which is good I guess, because even I could tell my teeth had shifted since debrace just 4 weeks ago. Even though the temporary Bioforms still fit and were not tight...they just were too pliable.

I could tell immediately I would like these better. One because they're clear, and two because they are tightly molded to my teeth. No air or saliva goes through them. Yay!!!

While wearing them I can't close my front teeth, and actually have quite an open bite. The back molars hit because of the plastic, which is quite uncomfortable on my jaw joints. I got used to it with the Bioforms...I hope I get used to it with these.

Overall I'm much happier, and I will actually wear these in public!! It takes me awhile to remove them, and I'm certain to break a fingernail trying. I noticed my bite felt better after wearing them for several hours today, so clearly some bad shifting had happened over the last few weeks.

mysticgirl916

#32 Post by mysticgirl916 »

Congratulations! I know I'm going to be happy when my time comes eventually

jem

#33 Post by jem »

Hi Kip,

Glad to hear you have finally got your vivera retainers and that you are happy with them. I found that my essix became easier to insert and remove after a few days and I expect you will find the same with the viveras. It would be interesting to know whether that is because the retainer becomes slightly less tight or because your removal technique becomes better.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

Leebie3

#34 Post by Leebie3 »

WOW!!!!!!!! STUNNING!!!!!!

Do you have before and after for us?

38yr old Mum to 3 (2 teens and a preppie) living in paradise with her man. BSSO surgery approx late April 2014!

TMJJill

#35 Post by TMJJill »

Hi Kipepeo,

Thanks for sharing your retainer story. I get my braces off in 4 weeks and will have a clear retainer of some sort. I'm not sure what brand, just that my Orthodontist customizes his splints and retainers. My Orthodontist doesn't like having metal in the mouth long-term so he mostly fits with this style. Reading your story gives me a lot to consider and questions to ask my Orthodontist at my next appointment.

Thanks,
TMJJill

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

Pondemoz

#36 Post by Pondemoz »

They look fantastic! Congrats!

UnicornDerp

#37 Post by UnicornDerp »

Love your smile! Congratulations!

gaman

#38 Post by gaman »

Very Nice! Hope mine look as well. Congratulations!
ME

Kipepeo

#39 Post by Kipepeo »

I'm really dredging up the past here. I just wanted to post a follow up to my retention phase since I've been brace free for 2 years. I had my final ortho appt last July. All done, unless I have an issue.

I've been wearing the Vivera retainers at night only for a long time. I like wearing them, because they prevent me from biting my cheeks at night! Since these retainers snap in and tightly hold the teeth all the way around the arch, my teeth are in the exact same position they were in when the impressions were taken. That's the goal, right? The Viveras do not get loose. It comes with 4 sets, and I still have some to go, but don't need them. I'm very happy with these, and I would recommend them to anyone with a choice in their retention.

My daughter, who is about a year and half out of braces and has Essix does not share the same experience. Her lower arch retainer has already broken months ago, and she got a replacement. The teeth in her lower arch have shifted and are no longer aligned straight. I think her upper laterals have moved a bit too. Granted she's a teenager and probably doesn't wear them as much as she should. I tried to tell her she doesn't want to repeat this….Hah!

I have experience with all retainer types except fixed, bonded. These Viveras are the best, in my opinion, and worth the extra $200 to upgrade.

metalliKa

#40 Post by metalliKa »

I wish there was something in the water here. Our water is not fluoridated. :GapToothed:

But a belated congrats on your debracing! Your teeth are beautiful...not that they weren't before!
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

Lorianne

#41 Post by Lorianne »

Hey, you look great! Such a beautiful result! Congrats!