ligatures keep snapping off brackets?!?!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

oimysizex

ligatures keep snapping off brackets?!?!

#1 Post by oimysizex »

a couple weeks ago i noticed one of my ligs had 'disappeared' off one my lower brackets but i thought maybe my orthodontist didn't put on one... then latst week or so, i noticed a lig snapped hanging off my bracket so i just pulled it off so i have 2 of my brackets without ligs but the wire is still in place and hasnt come out? i have an appointment on thursday anyway.

Has this happened to anyone else? does anyone know why

Been in braces foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

sirwired

Re: ligatures keep snapping off brackets?!?!

#2 Post by sirwired »

If you are in the early wires, your teeth may not be lined up enough and they stretch (or break) the rubber ligs. Your ortho can attach wire ligs instead, and your problem will be all fixed.

oimysizex

#3 Post by oimysizex »

thank you for your reply
i've only had 2 wires, and only one adjustment but I have had my braces on for 9 months :)

Ciara

#4 Post by Ciara »

Wow, that's a lot. If you are following the food guidelines then it could be due to moisture during the bonding process (your otho not getting your teeth properly dry), it is also harder to get brackets to stick to heavily restored teeth, an early wire (1st and 2nd wire), you could be biting them off (upper teeth hitting lower brackets) etc. Has your ortho said anything?

Tobilei

#5 Post by Tobilei »

Maybe it was just that particular batch if you've not had the problem before? I haven't had any ligs snap but I did manage to snap my last powerchain the night before an adjustment (good timing :P)

oimysizex

#6 Post by oimysizex »

a total of 3 have snapped off now!!! :-+
ive got an app on thursday ill demand a new set of ligs :GapToothed:

Tobilei

#7 Post by Tobilei »

Sounds like a plan! Hope you get a better batch this time!

oimysizex

#8 Post by oimysizex »

Another LIGATURE snapped off when i was brushing my teeth, i dont even brush my teeth hard so i dont know :S

Rusty'sMom

#9 Post by Rusty'sMom »

Sometimes plaque build up on the brackets keep the ligs from being secure on the bracket causing them to come off during brushing or eating. You could mention it at your next appt and the dental tech can do some scraping. This happened to me a couple of times....on the bottom brackets.
[Image
[/url]]

[Image
[/url]]

oimysizex

#10 Post by oimysizex »

I had my ligs changed today, she said it was that colour that is 'brittle' and snap.

:)

agrace90

#11 Post by agrace90 »

What color was it?

oimysizex

#12 Post by oimysizex »

orange!!
I asked for black this time but she told that seems to be particularly brittle

Kipepeo

#13 Post by Kipepeo »

I wonder if they're old? Why would the office keep buying those colors if they noticeably fail?

oimysizex

#14 Post by oimysizex »

well when i was having them changed, the assistant showed me a chart and i asked for black and she said ' we dont have any of them left, we sent them back because they're brittle'