Every how often do you tighten your braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Cadet

Every how often do you tighten your braces?

#1 Post by Cadet »

Just wondering. Do you have monthly visits? Or how does it work?

Initially my ortho told me it would be monthly visits.
After 11 months of treatment, it has now become once every month and a half, sometimes month and 3 weeks.
This is due to the fact that he leaves town for that amount of time to go back to his family.
He has some other things apparently which is not my business.
I am however worried that this will prolong my treatment because of his personal reasons.
This isn't what he had agreed with me initially.
When I spoke to him he said that the usually checkup is usually after 2 months anyways, so this shouldn't effect my treatment at all.
For some reason I don't believe he is telling the truth, and feel that this will definitely prolong my treatment.

What do you guys think?

joeyyeo

Re: Every how often do you tighten your braces?

#2 Post by joeyyeo »

I've heard of it ranging from 3-8 weeks, mine is every 6 weeks, but I know of people who visit their ortho every 2 months, so this shouldn't be a problem :)
Upper braces off after 636 days!

NICURN85

#3 Post by NICURN85 »

I actually go every 3-4 weeks and sometimes I'll go back in 2 depending on what my ortho has planned. I guess it depends on the patient and what the ortho is trying to accomplish!!
~KIMMIE

Click here to view my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42578

JillD

#4 Post by JillD »

I heard that your adjustments are infrequent initially, but as you are getting closer to the end of your treatment, the adjustments will get more frequent. I started with 10 week interval, then, 8, 6 and now it is 4 week. I would be extremely worried if I were in your situation.

emoticon1234

#5 Post by emoticon1234 »

For a while I was going every 3 weeks, but now it ranges from 3-5 weeks. I think this time it's about 5 weeks between adjustments. I've had elastics for 8 weeks so far.

Ciara

#6 Post by Ciara »

What type of braces do you have? If they are self-ligating, then you need adjustments less often. Every 6-7 weeks or so seems to be the norm here. If the are traditional braces (ceramic or metal) you usually go in more often . Every 3-4 weeks or so seems to be usual.

Cadet

#7 Post by Cadet »

Ciara wrote:What type of braces do you have? If they are self-ligating, then you need adjustments less often. Every 6-7 weeks or so seems to be the norm here. If the are traditional braces (ceramic or metal) you usually go in more often . Every 3-4 weeks or so seems to be usual.
I have the damon system braces..

Thanks for the responses guys.

isthistaken

#8 Post by isthistaken »

I was told to expect appointments 8 weeks apart, although my first was scheduled for 10 weeks. Then, of course, it's okay to go in for any problems.

Tobilei

#9 Post by Tobilei »

Mine vary but range from 8 weeks to barely 4 weeks. The majority are about 6 weeks.

200books

#10 Post by 200books »

My appointments have always been six weeks.

Catlady

#11 Post by Catlady »

Mine are always 8weeks.

thisgal201

#12 Post by thisgal201 »

My ortho would like me to come every 4-6 weeks. There have been a few times where it was 3 weeks.

kt87

#13 Post by kt87 »

Mine so far seems to be every 6 weeks. Though my first appointment wasn't an adjustment, it was more of a check up to see how my teeth were and I guess to figure out the next move for the next appointment
:heart: :heart: :heart:

Lizzie365

#14 Post by Lizzie365 »

I find my adjustments to be every 6-7 weeks.

I actually quite look forward to going! :lol:

JillD

#15 Post by JillD »

I look forward to my adjustment days, too, because big changes always happen right after adjustments.