Taking photographs of your teeth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NeilH

Taking photographs of your teeth

#1 Post by NeilH »

After spending half an hour over the weekend trying to get a good photograph of my teeth and bite, gave up with the blurry, poorly composed shots. Some people post really good photos so what's the secret? Do you have a technique that consistently gives good results or is it trial and error?

isthistaken

Re: Taking photographs of your teeth

#2 Post by isthistaken »

I haven't figured out how to post photos here yet, but I like to take my photos while I am looking at a large mirror (with the camera facing myself.)

oldfart

#3 Post by oldfart »

I gave up on my Phone and went back to the digital camera. About four-five inches from the teeth. I normally use the bathroom and use the mirror to look in the viewfinder of the camera.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

Ciara

#4 Post by Ciara »

I'm pretty hopeless too. All my shots are blurry or tilted.

isthistaken

#5 Post by isthistaken »

I just realized my comment above sounds really narcissistic. LOL :oops:

Tobilei

#6 Post by Tobilei »

oldfart wrote:I gave up on my Phone and went back to the digital camera. About four-five inches from the teeth. I normally use the bathroom and use the mirror to look in the viewfinder of the camera.
I do this too. Compact camera with live view. Face camera towards your teeth and use the mirror to view on the screen what you're about to photograph. Take lots! I delete about half of what I actually take. Try and use natural lighting if you can. It makes a big difference and if you have enough natural light turn your flash off.

isthistaken

#7 Post by isthistaken »

Tobilei wrote:
oldfart wrote:I gave up on my Phone and went back to the digital camera. About four-five inches from the teeth. I normally use the bathroom and use the mirror to look in the viewfinder of the camera.
I do this too. Compact camera with live view. Face camera towards your teeth and use the mirror to view on the screen what you're about to photograph. Take lots! I delete about half of what I actually take. Try and use natural lighting if you can. It makes a big difference and if you have enough natural light turn your flash off.
That is what I was trying to figure out how to say! :-**

Tobilei

#8 Post by Tobilei »

isthistaken wrote:
Tobilei wrote:
That is what I was trying to figure out how to say! :-**
Lol, what you said was fine :) I just talk a lot :P

isthistaken

#9 Post by isthistaken »

It doesn't help that I'm technologically-challenged. :computer:

katsface

#10 Post by katsface »

If your pics are blurry it means you need more light, or you're trying to take the picture too close and the camera can't focus.

Try taking the picture in the middle of the day in front of a bright window. If you needed more light, that should fix the problem.

If that doesn't help with blurriness, it means you're holding the camera too close to your mouth. Pull the camera away from your mouth a bit, then take the picture. If you want to crop the picture to remove the rest of your face, use a free photo editing program like GIMP, iPhoto (if you're on a mac) or PicMonkey.com to crop away the rest of your face.

Hope that helps a little!

(I wrote a book on using the free photo editing program GIMP, and I run a photography website with tips for beginners. If you have any other pic related questions I might be able to help.)
Treatment-
  • Braces: In-Ovation L (lingual) on top, and In-Ovation R (metal) on bottom
  • SARPE
  • BSSO advancement
  • estimated 18-22 months
SARPE
  • Expander installed Jan 14th 2013
  • Surgery Feb 18th 2013
  • Turn 26 days to 13mm. Gap between teeth maxed out at 12-13mm.
  • Gap down to 7mm Apr 18
  • Gap Closed Aug 6
  • Expander out Sep 19
BSSO
  • Insurance approved, surgery scheduled for Dec 18!

starfish88

#11 Post by starfish88 »

The bright window really helps - also if your camera has a micro or close-up setting use that as it helps a bit. I tend to take whole face pictures and crop out the rest of my face.

16 months 1 week and 2 days in braces
12mm overjet and narrow jaws all fixed with braces and elastics.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42441

anxiousgirl

#12 Post by anxiousgirl »

I generally take them with my computers webcam or mobiles front camera.. much easier that way if you have the option as you can see what your doing easily and without feeling like an idiot when you don't get have to take 50 shots to get one that works :P

braces on: 21/02/2011
lower braces off: 20/03/2013
upper braces off: 04/04/2013

amyhenna

#13 Post by amyhenna »

Taking pictures of my teeth is one of my top favorite reasons for having braces :thumbsup:

ladyrastafari

#14 Post by ladyrastafari »

i use Photobooth on my Mac..position myself so that my teeth and no other identifiers are visible then take the pic.. no issues
chained to visions of perfection....

NeilH

#15 Post by NeilH »

Thank you for your advice, didn't think of using a mirror to see the viewfinder so will give that a try.