What my ortho told me about my retainer.......

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

88oscar

What my ortho told me about my retainer.......

#1 Post by 88oscar »

Ive got my essix retainer today and my ortho told me to wear it just at night time every night for the first 3 months and then switch to 2/3 nights per week? :?

Shouldnt i be wearing it full time day and night for the first 3 months? :shock:
Should i ignore what he said and wear it full time for 3 months as i heard others have been advised to wear it full time for 3 months too.
I would hate to have a relapse.

Bikerchick85

Re: What my ortho told me about my retainer.......

#2 Post by Bikerchick85 »

I think I would probably wear it full time anyway! Who wants to pay for braces again!! (I am on my THIRD time with them, but not from lack of retainer wear.) I'd say it would depend on what type of bite you had to start with, as the essix retainers can open a bite. But I wouldn't think your ortho would've prescribed essix if you had an open bite to start with?? Just my two cents! :) BTW.. congrats on getting them off!! I'm sooo jealous!!

MY STORY.. http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=43860

*4 Premolar Extractions-Nov. 29th, 2012*
*Upper Ceramic Braces-Dec. 11, 2012*
*Lower Metal Braces-Feb. 11th, 2013*
*Est. Sentence-24 months*

kennyandrew85

#3 Post by kennyandrew85 »

No harm in wearing it every night, I certainly will be!

I'm going to buy a spare also in case I break/lose my current one, I really am never going through 2 years of braces again for sure.
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

jem

#4 Post by jem »

Good idea to get a spare one Kenny. Shortly after getting his braces off,my son lost his retainers whilst on a lads holiday in Crete and his teeth moved slightly. His ortho had not kept the models of his teeth that the original retainers were made from, so he had to have new impressions with his teeth in their slightly moved position. So losing his retainers means that his teeth will never be quite as straight as when his braces came off.

By the way, your teeth looked fantastic in your recent photo. Men on this board are in a pretty small minority and you are a great example to other young men of how worthwhile getting braces can be.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

margarets

#5 Post by margarets »

As a relapse case, I say; wear it full-time for several months, and then every night forever. Skip a night here & there, sure, but the best retention strategy is just ABR (always be retaining!).