things got weird on debracing day

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

margarets

things got weird on debracing day

#1 Post by margarets »

I had my braces taken off this morning, which should have been a great moment, but my ortho dropped this weird little bomb on me about more work to be done.

The background is that I'm a relapse case (had braces as a teen), and had some movement with my top front teeth. This time around, I only had six brackets on my top front teeth (plus the back ones to attach the wire). I specifically remember the ortho saying at the initial consultation "I don't see any need to touch the bottom teeth".

Then today, in the middle of debracing my top teeth, she said some stuff about "now we can fix your bottom teeth". She never used the phrase "full braces" but that is definitely the impression I got. So did the tech, when I mentioned it to her. (There is a minor crossbite issue with one of my top teeth that partly has to do with the bottom tooth having rotated.) I was steaming mad because I didn't see why the full-braces-on-the-bottom issue couldn't have been mentioned at the initial consultation or ANY TIME during the last 10 months that I have been in treatment.

When I followed up with the ortho after all the debracing stuff was done, she backtracked and said she only meant trying to deal with the rotation with a retainer. She kept making comments to the effect that I had said I only wanted braces on the top (I didn't - I went into the consultation with an open mind). This isn't the only time she has told me what my concerns were and gotten it wrong.

As you can imagine, the last thing I want after 10 months in braces is to spend another X months in another set. Of course I wanted to get everything done at the same time and be done with it.

My gut feeling is she was trying to bait-and-switch/upsell me, and was testing the waters.

What do you all think?

klobird

Re: things got weird on debracing day

#2 Post by klobird »

I can't address what you have going on-I have uppers and lowers. But, I do know what you mean about things getting weird. I don't feel like my teeth are done yet but I'm getting them off in 7 weeks. I am going to the ortho tomorrow morning to discuss it. We'll see......

margarets

#3 Post by margarets »

Just to clarify, what I find weird is that I got one story at the initial consultation, and quite a different one on debracing day, and my case was never complicated to begin with, so why the difference?

oldfart

#4 Post by oldfart »

Do you have any written treatment plan from the start of your treatment? Or can you ask for a copy of the initial notes?

I know I got a list of all the things wrong, and questions as to what I wanted fixed. This was before any payment was made.

of
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

isthistaken

#5 Post by isthistaken »

I can understand why you would be steamed. Stuff like that happens to me all. the. time. :x

jaybea20

#6 Post by jaybea20 »

I would be upset that nothing was mentioned earlier-it is fishy to me that it only came up when you were about to be "finished" as a client.

How awful that it put a damper on your "YAY I got my braces off!!!" day. :(
Clear braces on top with bite turbos, standard on bottom
Will have them for 12-15 months

Angel269

#7 Post by Angel269 »

Mine were meant to be off today but due to some mixed messages etc he had to take an impression for the bonded retainer and prepare it for me before I could be debraced, which I wasn't aware of-as far as I was aware it would just be the impression for the Essix retainer once they were off.

I now have my big day for definite next Thursday, 14th-10 days.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

My braces story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42457

Impressions-08/06/12
Big Day-22/06/12
Started using Bite Plate-14/07/12
Estimated treatment-8 months (upper ceramics)
Debond date-04/03/13

Ciara

#8 Post by Ciara »

Didn't you receive a hard copy of your treatment plan at the start? I got one but was told that there may be changes (there already has been one - no bite plate). I'd be annoyed too if someone sprung that on me.

margarets

#9 Post by margarets »

Thanks for the replies everyone. :)

There is nothing about bottom braces on the initial consultation. I'm just chalking it up to the ortho maybe not having the greatest communication skills (i.e. not hearing me).

Anyway, the issue with my bottom teeth is SO minor that I'm going to let it slide. It doesn't show with my natural smile or when I talk or anything. Literally no one but me and dental professionals will ever see it. There are no functional issues. So I'll save my pennies for future retainer replacements etc and be done with it.

kennyandrew85

#10 Post by kennyandrew85 »

Is it down to cost or being visible?

Perhaps invisalign might be suitable?

All i know is loads of people on here are in braces for the second time in their 50s and 60s so surely it's a good idea to get it perfect first time and keep it that way with retainers.
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

margarets

#11 Post by margarets »

kennyandrew85 wrote:Is it down to cost or being visible?

Perhaps invisalign might be suitable?

All i know is loads of people on here are in braces for the second time in their 50s and 60s so surely it's a good idea to get it perfect first time and keep it that way with retainers.
Mainly the visibility. If I really, really wanted total perfection, I could get the money together. Maybe in a couple years I'll decide it's important and do it.

I've had my braces off since yesterday morning and still no one in my office has noticed! Hence my non-concern about small imperfections.

Ciara

#12 Post by Ciara »

margarets wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone. :)

There is nothing about bottom braces on the initial consultation. I'm just chalking it up to the ortho maybe not having the greatest communication skills (i.e. not hearing me).

Anyway, the issue with my bottom teeth is SO minor that I'm going to let it slide. It doesn't show with my natural smile or when I talk or anything. Literally no one but me and dental professionals will ever see it. There are no functional issues. So I'll save my pennies for future retainer replacements etc and be done with it.
Sorry your ortho doesn't have the best communication skills but glad to hear that the problem isn't really noticeable. Oh, and congratulations on getting your braces off :-)