Food getting stuck between metal band and molar-what to do?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SignandReturn

Food getting stuck between metal band and molar-what to do?

#1 Post by SignandReturn »

I am 47 and got traditional braces for the 1st time on Dec. 28, 2012. I’ve been anal about cleaning my teeth/braces as the ortho instructed, but recently was told by good friend that my breath was atrocious (and I could smell the odor in this one area on my floss too). YIKES!

After closer inspection I found there is open space between one of the metal bands and molar (upper tooth). I am able to stick the little pixel brush into the space (and toothbrush bristles go in there well too) …and PEW! That is where the smell was coming from.

When I discovered this 2 days ago I went and bought a water pick and have been over cleaning to the point I’ve severely irritated the gum. I’ve cleaned the irritated spot with hydrogen peroxide and have been sticking wax into the open space between the metal band and tooth to help prevent more food getting in there. But should this be happening? I'm concerned about this impacting the health of my gums and tooth.

Is this a normal problem? Should I contact the ortho? I just don't want to over-react if this is not big deal (other than my breath melting the glue on wallpaper).

Thanks everyone.

hazybubbles

Re: Food getting stuck between metal band and molar-what to

#2 Post by hazybubbles »

Get it sorted, its disgusting! There's no reason to suffer with smelly breath because of braces. Molar bands should fit the tooth, so don't suffer in silence. If you leave it and there's food wedged in there it could cause the start of tooth decay.

P.s. I don't mean this as an attack on your hygiene in anyway, I think you are just being too polite by not bringing this problem up with the ortho. It should be easy to fix.

batwing

#3 Post by batwing »

It sounds like your band is loose. Definitely tell the ortho. The food may have even wedged down enough to make the band looser. The metal they use is pretty malleable.

When I had my bands fitted they really had to wedge them in there, take it off, resize, wedge it in, take it off, etc. etc. I think that took longer than anything else when I was fitted. They'll probably fit you with a tighter band.

If it's loose enough to get food caught in it, it may also be loose enough to reposition itself.
Central Ossifying Fibroma removed from mandible 3/8/2012, braced 5/24/2012, One piece Le Fort I performed 12/11/2013, debraced 8/26/2014

SignandReturn

#4 Post by SignandReturn »

Thank you for your responses.

In addition to purchasing a WaterPik, I went to the ortho on Tuesday to fix the problem.

The ortho said the band doesn't fit well because of the shape of the crown on that tooth and that it looked like the glue had come out in the one area.
The ladies who work for the orthodontist cleaned it, bent the band toward my tooth and added lots of glue (just hope she cleand it so there isn't bacteria trapped in the space. I was surprised they didn't remove the band and add a new one. The gum tissue was irritated but seems to be getting better.

The orthondonist told me I should go to my dentist every four months (he didn't say why).

I wonder if I may need to consider changing orthos and what the process would be to do so.

sweetcynic

#5 Post by sweetcynic »

Probably recommended going every four months for dental cleanings to maintain tooth and gum health, basically saying every 6 months isn't sufficient. Just my guess anyway.

SignandReturn

#6 Post by SignandReturn »

Thank you, Sweetcynic.

I think you are correct and I'm going to get cleanings 3x this year while I have the braces.

Yesterday and today (3-4 days after the metal band repair) the tooth is a bit sore and itchy.
I read tonight that it helps to rinse in warm saltwater approximately 3x each day. It seems to work.

As much as I brush, floss and WaterPik, I should have better gums than ever when the braces are removed.

What an experience it is to have braces!

djspeece

#7 Post by djspeece »

Boy, you have that right, signandreturn. I am about 4 months into the experience and like you have become a bit of a fanatic about oral hygiene. I finally got high praise from my hygienist at my last visit for the condition of my gums, etc.! It's funny how much that meant to me. I had been only using the waterpik for flossing, and initially she said something like "well you really need to have mechanical action to break up plaque formation, but geeze I really can't complain everything looks great!" She did recommend dipping one of those small brushes into Listerine Total Care and inserting through the teeth if I was not going to use floss. I added that to my regiman, even though I find Listerine products to be quite vile-tasting (probably from growing up in the 50s when I first started using the yellow stuff as a kid). I even bought a special sort of tonuge brush (Ora-B, I think) which seems much more effective and less gag-inducing than my toothbrush. I even have a portable waterpik for work, and my colleagues of course all think I am somewhat crazy (well perhaps for more reasons than this :wink: . It is really an experience -- seems like every other week some other little irritation occurs -- an arch wire needs clipped or something begins to be irritating.

Question: has anyone ever went to your ortho wearing those fake teeth that are going in every which direction? I know I am very juvenile, but I can see myself in the chair after discretely putting them on, covering my mouth with my hand slightly, and telling the ortho. "Doc, I just don't think these braces are working" and then smiling widely. Is there any hope for me?
Dan
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

SignandReturn

#8 Post by SignandReturn »

That is hilarious! Dan, thank you for that good laugh.
Before logging and reading the post, I had called and left a message for my ortho because the metal band that was collecting food is driving me mad w/pain and itching. It also bleeds in the back when I brush...and it is still a bit smelly. The lady added/patched with glue the best she could but I think she may have missed the very back. Last night it was so bad I was ready to make an appointment to have the braces removed.
It has been just over a month and I feel like the 'problem adult patient' that they talk about after I leave (like they have others when I'm in the office).

So....I may have to find a pair of those crazy teeth and do like you say...at my next appointment...to break the tension.
LOL! If I do I will let you know. Great idea!

I do love the WaterPik. GREAT suggestion and worth every cent. I have also been rinsing my mouth frequently during the day in warm salt water. That seems to have helped my gums a lot.
A couple of times...including tonight...I did pour a bit of Listerine mouth wash (non-alcohol) in my WaterPik water. Not sure if that is good or bad, but my mouth definitely feels better after the process.

All the best,

djspeece

#9 Post by djspeece »

You're on! I am going to archiemcphee.com and order some (yes I have done some research in this area, and just love the site.) I think they come in a pack of six, or something. One of my colleagues with small children recommended the website when I told her of my plan. That will give them something to talk about after I leave the office ("Man is that guy demented!") Keep 'em on their toes.
I am going to order today, and hopefully will come before my appointment in a week. More to follow.
Dan
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Johnny

#10 Post by Johnny »

use mouthwash. I brush, floss, mouthwash n brush ;-)

SignandReturn

#11 Post by SignandReturn »

Thursday night I could not take continued gum pain and bleeding on the same tooth (glue patch didn't work too well) and decided to call and leave a message for my ortho.

I received a message Friday morning to come into the office and they would remove the metal band and replace with a bracket. Now...the ortho was not there...only the ladies who work for him. (The ortho does not have a cleaning service and requires that his staff come into the office to clean on Fridays. Friday' are closed to patients. It is obvious these ladies do NOT like this job of cleaning office toilets, vacuuming, etc....and I don't blame them).

When the lady helping me removed the metal band there was a horrible smell (obviously food had been trapped in there for a while (no matter how much WaterPicking, brushing and mouthwash I had been doing).

Since the tooth is mostly a crown, she etched the tooth/crown to hold a bracket. She then put the brace wire back on tightened so tight that I swear the teeth are getting ready cross over each other or break..Ha!. I hope she wasn't just being mean...as she told me I had been in more for issues more than anybody in their history. Wow...it really made be feel embarrassed and uncomfortable. Why would they do this?

Regardless...it has been two days since the one metal band was removed and it has made such a difference. There is no more bleeding and my gums in that are are almost back to normal. Thank HEAVENS the pain related to that is gone.

Yashj9

Re: Food getting stuck between metal band and molar-what to do?

#12 Post by Yashj9 »

I'm glad I found this thread, the same thing is happening to me lol. Will surely recommend getting a bracket fir. Though I'm worried about chewing stuff as it might break it off. Currently I'm just trying to get food particles out by flossing, which is pretty painful btw, lots of blood too. I feel I've damaged the gum a fair but. After flossing, I rinse with salt water, brush the spot with toothpaste and then take an anti-inflammatory tablet. It feels better during the day but after 2 meals of chewing and food getting in there it starts to hurt again. I'm just waiting for 2 more days to pass so I can get it refitted or removed like your situation.