2nd day with braces and having 2nd thoughts

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Xenbuf

2nd day with braces and having 2nd thoughts

#1 Post by Xenbuf »

Did I make a mistake?

This is my second day with braces. I am 36 years old and I had to get braces to correct a jaw problem. The actual braces don't hurt but they put this cement stuff in the back of my mouth that keeps my top and bottom teeth from meeting. I can't chew much and I am scared. Please tell me that this gets better.

plugnickel69

Re: 2nd day with braces and having 2nd thoughts

#2 Post by plugnickel69 »

It gets better. Hang in there!

denSMSgt

#3 Post by denSMSgt »

Agreed, it TOTALLY gets better!

Hang in there, the payoff will rock!

SMILE! :tingrin:

klobird

#4 Post by klobird »

I have heard that your teeth start moving as soon as you walk out of the ortho's office after getting braced. The visible changes occur first, and when you see those changes it gets really exciting-and it only takes weeks to happen.

Hang in there--after a while you will hardly notice your braces!! :thumbsup:

Xenbuf

#5 Post by Xenbuf »

Thanks for your words of encouragement! I need them right now. Reading through this sift is helping a lot. Do you know how long I will have these cement things on my back teeth?

EbonyQ

#6 Post by EbonyQ »

It will get better :heart: . Give it some time and I know it is difficult but try not to focus too much on them (it will make you crazy…). Reading stories on this forum might help a little too :D . Before you decide to do anything, give them at least a month. You might be surprised how much your braces have become a part of you in just that short time :thumbsup:

If you read my blog “can I do it?” you can see even though things look very dark in the beginning things will get easier. I even had an appointment to remove my braces but I’m glad that I did not do it :wink:

Good luck! :thumbsup:

[/url]

klobird

#7 Post by klobird »

I haven't had the molar build-ups yet--although in the last couple of appts, the ortho has "threatened" to put them on. I don't know if he still will...

Anyway, from what I've read, they wear down rather quickly, that you get used to them pretty quickly, and that most people have them about 6 months.

zdenka

#8 Post by zdenka »

Hang in there. I had second thoughts for a month.
Total sentence 567 days. :)
Debond day: Dec 10, 2013

Duncan5

#9 Post by Duncan5 »

They are to stop your upper front teeth from hitting the brackets on the lower teeth, so should come off once all the teeth have levelled. In my case I've a cement platform behind my front teeth as there's a 5mm kink in both upper and lower wires between canine and second premolars on both sides, so a good few months. The six months from previous post sounds about right. And yes, I loath the things too; brackets are barely noticeable in comparison.

D.

AM21

#10 Post by AM21 »

I have molar build ups and they do wear down quickly and make it a bit more comfortable when chewing. Just hang in there! It does get better! :)
Braced: August 1, 2011
Sentence: 30 Months
My Braces Blog: http://www.metalmouthtales.blogspot.com

margarets

#11 Post by margarets »

It gets better, and it's worth it!

Hang in there :tingrin:

Xenbuf

#12 Post by Xenbuf »

Thanks again for the support and info. Finding this site has helped so much.

EbonyQ...how do I get to your blog to read it?

juicyjuicy

#13 Post by juicyjuicy »

I am in the exact same situation as you.

The braces are fine, although they make my teeth feel really tender, but the cement is making me scared every time I chew.

Xenbuf

#14 Post by Xenbuf »

It has been over a week now and I have to say that chewing is awkward but easier. It gets better everyday. I never thought I'd say that but it's true.

So hang in there and eat lots of soup!

No day but today...

canuck88

#15 Post by canuck88 »

I'm 36 as well and have had the bite buildups for 7 months now... you will totally get used to it and they will wear down. The less you think about it the quicker you'll forget about it. Hang in there!