Extractions + TADs or Extr. only for Bimax Protrusion case??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

artichokeenthusiast

Extractions + TADs or Extr. only for Bimax Protrusion case??

#1 Post by artichokeenthusiast »

Hi everyone,

I had my final conference with my orthodontist yesterday, and we basically decided that I should go forward with extractions and fixed braces to address my bimaxillary protrusion/lip incompetence concerns. I already have a pretty good bite and only very minimal crowding on my bottom teeth, so I will need to have all 4 first premolars removed. Both arches are slightly on the narrower side and my teeth are tipped in a bit so he is confident that we can achieve some arch widening as well.
However, after reviewing my x-rays and molds, he's also recommending that I get TADs (temporary anchorage devices) for maximum retraction of my front teeth (100% of the possible movement my case could achieve).

If I just get extractions and no TADs, he thinks we could get 80% of the maximum retraction because my back molars will move forward a bit as well. (For comparison, he said just IPR with no extractions could get maybe 15% retraction).

Also, he recommends 3 TADs: one on top in my palate (roof of my mouth), and 2 on the bottom behind my molars (where my wisdom teeth used to be).

It's a difficult decision because I'll have to see an oral surgeon for the TADs and they'll cost me an additional $1500 or more...and I'm not insured so this is all out of pocket. :(

My questions are:
1) If you've had extractions + braces and no TADs for bimax protrusion, were you happy with the results improving your profile? I'm sure every case is different but is 80% enough??
2) Has anyone else had TADs in similar locations as what he's suggesting? I searched the forum and it seems like most people gets TADs on the part of the jaw above or below the teeth!

I can't post a picture yet because I'm new, but when I can I will post a picture of my current profile!

Thanks in advance!!

artichokeenthusiast

Re: Extractions + TADs or Extr. only for Bimax Protrusion ca

#2 Post by artichokeenthusiast »

Testing out posting a picture...

By artichokeenthusi at 2012-09-14
The right side picture is a duplicate of the left, with a line from the tip of my nose to chin. The orthodontist said that ideally my top lip should be a mm or so to the left of the line, and bottom lip should rest on it.
Damon Clear on upper & lower, 4 first premolar extractions; 4 TADs

diegorgeous

#3 Post by diegorgeous »

Had bimaxilliary protrusion. Extracted 4 first premolars. No tads and completely happy with my profile now. Very big difference. Don't think my back teeth moved forward at all!!! Because no space between last molar and wisdom ,and wisdom wasn't bracketed.

artichokeenthusiast

#4 Post by artichokeenthusiast »

Thanks for your reply, diegorgeous! I'm definitely hoping I can get adequate results with my profile without TADs!! I wonder how your orthodontist was able to make sure your back molars didn't move forward! That's awesome :D
I went to your braces journey thread but somehow I can't see any of the pictures, have they been taken down?
Damon Clear on upper & lower, 4 first premolar extractions; 4 TADs

diegorgeous

#5 Post by diegorgeous »

artichokeenthusiast wrote:Thanks for your reply, diegorgeous! I'm definitely hoping I can get adequate results with my profile without TADs!! I wonder how your orthodontist was able to make sure your back molars didn't move forward! That's awesome :D
I went to your braces journey thread but somehow I can't see any of the pictures, have they been taken down?
Yes I took them down because I didn't like them coming up on google search. I wonder how he did that also. I had linguals. He must be really god at what he does I guess :wink:

gooslumps12

#6 Post by gooslumps12 »

[quote="diegorgeous"][quote="artichokeenthusiast"]Thanks for your reply, diegorgeous! I'm definitely hoping I can get adequate results with my profile without TADs!! I wonder how your orthodontist was able to make sure your back molars didn't move forward! That's awesome :D
I went to your braces journey thread but somehow I can't see any of the pictures, have they been taken down?[/quote]

Yes I took them down because I didn't like them coming up on google search. I wonder how he did that also. I had linguals. He must be really god at what he does I guess :wink:[/quote]

Have your teeth moved at all after removing braces?