Tiny black spot

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

anngie27

Tiny black spot

#1 Post by anngie27 »

Now that my 1st premolar on the bottom left and my top premolar on my bottom right have moved a bit, I can see a tiny black spot on each of these teeth. I couldn't see it originially before braces because the one on the bottom left had been facing inward and jammed up against the canine and the top premolar has the tiny black spot where it had been facing into the one next to it.
When I when to my dentist 3 weeks ago, I mentioned the brownish spot that was on the bottom molar (now you can see this spot because I had the premolar next to it extracted) and was told that was due to a lack of calcium, etc. but that we would watch it and just continue to use fluoride toothpaste and mouthwash but it was not a cavity. X-rays were checked and again confirmed no cavities.
Now that I see these two tiny black dots I am concerned about what else my teeth are hiding since they are being moved by the braces.
What are these tiny black spots? are they the beginning of cavities? Will i need a filling or something?

Jahs2015

Re: Tiny black spot

#2 Post by Jahs2015 »

I have a spot on my upper right central incisor where the lateral incisor overlapped it. I can't wait for my next adjustment (5/8) to see what the ortho has to say about it. I will also be interested to see what my general dentist says when I go in on 5/14. He did not mention any concerns of a cavity during my last visit when I had my standard films.

I am hoping that no additional spots develop or appear!

anngie27

#3 Post by anngie27 »

Of course I checked the 4 pre molars that I had extracted and there were no black spots on those. Just my luck, I get 4 pulled and they don't have a spot on them!
Please keep me posted about what your ortho and dentist say.

anngie27

#4 Post by anngie27 »

ok, so now that my teeth have moved in other places, I saw some other spots and decided that I really need to get these checked out before the rest of my braces fully put on next week.
My dentist checked the x-rays and looked in my mouth and confirmed it is not cavities on any of these spots.
He said it was decalcification and prescribed me a prescription toothpaste called prevident to use at night time before bedtime--no eating or drinking for 1/2 hour after brushing.
I'm glad that I checked it out since it has eased some of my anxiety.