The Forsus Appliance--Ohh the Horror!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

klobird

The Forsus Appliance--Ohh the Horror!

#1 Post by klobird »

OK, so I had an adjustment this morning. The ortho told me a couple of months ago that I was past having to have the Forsus Appliance. But on one side my bite seems to have taken a vacation from wanting to comply with the elastics....

So, yes indeedy, I left my appointment with the full on Forsus in my mouth!! :huh: Totally unexpected!

OK, so I titled this blog for a reason...to get your attention! From all the blogs I have read, I decided I would practically rather be dead than have to have the Forsus, as was the original plan. If you even look online at the pics etc., the Forsus looks like hell on earth.

Not so, my friends!!! Even though I have only been in the Forsus for about 5 hours, I find it more tolerable than elastics!! I just had a hamburger and fries, and I'm not feeling the need to run right in and brush my teeth so I can get those d*mn elastics back in.

I have been told by the orthodontist that yes, the Forsus is going to irritate my cheeks for the next couple of weeks and even though it felt fine at the office, that yes there will be a period of adjustment.
It's fine--except eating was weird. That's how I describe it. There is pinching--there was kind of a lot of pinching while I had my hamburger and fries.

The thing is, the "activated" side (the non-compliant side) fits very snuggly. And I hardly notice the Forsus on that side. On the other side (the passive side), the appliance feels "loose" and this flippy thing by my lip is moving all over the place causing the Forsus on that side to roll up and down against my teeth, and pinch my lip.Usually, I guess, both sides do that, but I got lucky. I put wax on the flippy thing and it holds it down pretty good. Contrary to what I have read, the wax IS sticking just fine.

I can see how it will be irritating for awhile, but once I get my tongue used to moving the Forsus in the best positions, then I think it may even be MUCH better than elastics.

I will keep posting in my blog under "Our Braces Stories". It takes me a couple of days before I full on whine after my adjustments, and probably about the Forsus. But right now, it really is all good. :HugeGrin:

BracedSurgeryStudent

Re: The Forsus Appliance--Ohh the Horror!

#2 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

Now that is something totally unexpected. All I have to say to you is thank GOD you don't need the herbst appliances and can jsut get the forsus. Ther herbst they take off your entire bottom row of braces and you need to go in four consecutive appointments, and have it for 8- 12 months. AND it locks on you depending on how you open your mouth. So putting in a herbst would be countr-productive at this stage. I'd choose forsus any day.

SO my orthodontist too told me that, I'd need a herbst but we'll try braces first. Then it's been 6 months for me and she still says no herbst is needed. How long after you got your braces on did your ortho give you the forsus? In all reality I wish I could forget about the elastics and just go for the forsus. I HATE elastics soooooo much.

We've basically done what we need to with the elastics as far as pulling the jaws in close alignment. We're trying to fix the bite now so we can pull the rest of the front teeth forward. What we're doing is pulling the top first pre molars (tooth after the canine pointys) back because theres a gap between the two pre-molars and so that it will fit snug against the bottom teeth like a puzzle. If you can get what I am saying.

Were you on the same strength of elastics for a long time. I been on the same kind seince Dec 1 in the same positions all i seen since january - now is minor improvements. She seems to spaz (in a good way) over how my teeth are coming along. So I guess they're doing their thing?!

You shold take pictures and post them in your blog that it what I do.
Jenn Medeiros

klobird

#3 Post by klobird »

Hey BSS--I have been in braces for over 10 months and just got the Forsus. I did NOT like the elastics either--for one main reason--they were so d*mn annoying!! In and out, and in and out, and sore today and nothing for a few weeks, then sore again. And the rubbing etc.. They just annoyed me like an eyelash in my eye annoys me. Not particularly painful--just a big pain in the *ass!
And they weren't correcting my bite the way the ortho expected. One side has a perfect bite, but the other side just won't budge.

The Forsus, I guess, may help to pull my overjet in more as well, which I am really looking forward to.

So far, the Forsus has been a breeze. No sores, no pain, no nothing. Also, I talk just fine with it in.
Brushing and flossing--I'm just adjusting to a modifed way of doing it--no problems though.

I don't know much about the herbst. Maybe it was good for me to expect the Forsus to be pure h*ll,
because it is not living up to my expectations at all!! :HugeGrin:

BracedSurgeryStudent

#4 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

oh wow ten months already that's a long time already. My two front teeth wont budge so we keep shaving the sides to make them fit.

Things are always the way you least expect them. I though braces were going to be entirely differnt, nope. At work I though ringing (being a cashier) was going to be soooooooo different. I mean it's hard but not in the way I thought.

That is good that it's coming out great. Sorry to hear about that one side.
Jenn Medeiros