Dental cleaning and braces - how does YOUR dentist do it?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

yogapaws

Re: Dental cleaning and braces - how does YOUR dentist do it

#16 Post by yogapaws »

I get my two annual cleanings per dental plan & scheduled two additional in between.

Hygienist did an amazing job (she just finished her orthodontic tx) & didn't remove the arch wires....

vegathestar

#17 Post by vegathestar »

TMJJill wrote:I'm right with you. I don't get my teeth cleaned free either. It's off to my dentist every 6 months like normal.

When they remove the wire at my orthodontist, I do my own brushing and flossing. :mrgreen:
Well I would love that! My orthodontist is super busy so usually after he takes off the wire, a new wire would be placed in within 1 min. He's very very busy my appointment usually takes only 5 minutes or less. So I can't floss my teeth either, bet theres a lot of trapped germs in my mouth :-+

nikkibabie19

#18 Post by nikkibabie19 »

i have a question on this topic tho....

QUESTION : Does your ortho tell u when to go get a cleaning? Or Do u have to make the appointment with ur reg dentist and notify the ortho?
For those of u that get the wire removed...Is that pre arranged so that your ortho is aware of when u hav ur cleaning appointment so he removes the wire and sends u on ur way? (And is the wire put back in the same day or...?)

Me with elastics : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46327

FINALLY Me after braces : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46650
[/color]

TMJJill

#19 Post by TMJJill »

I schedule with my dentist as normal every 6 months. I just update my ortho for their records on when my visit was an how it went.

I keep my wire in for my cleanings. That works for me since it would take me most of a day driving back and forth because of the distance between them.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

starfish88

#20 Post by starfish88 »

Because I'm getting my cleaning with the wires in I didn't even think to tell my ortho I'd booked it. He hasn't asked really either I suppose my teeth tell them for me!

16 months 1 week and 2 days in braces
12mm overjet and narrow jaws all fixed with braces and elastics.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42441

nikkibabie19

#21 Post by nikkibabie19 »

OR ok...thanks....well i guess i should schedule my cleaning wid my dentist then...the earlier the better bcuz he gets booked really quickly...

I guess i'll tell my ortho when its soon (Jus to see if he'll mention removing the wires or not)
My dentist and ortho are actually only a block away from each other so it'll be easy to go between the two...

Me with elastics : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46327

FINALLY Me after braces : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46650
[/color]

fulldiastemahead

#22 Post by fulldiastemahead »

My dentist's office is in the same office building as my orthodontist. My orthodontist said that, when I'm due for cleanings, I'm welcome to come up to their floor and have my wire removed to make it easier for my dentist. He said they'll just pop it back in afterward. They would rather give me a free 5 minute appointment than deal with poorly cleaned teeth, I expect.

I know that I'll end up sneaking into one of the bathrooms in their building to floss on my own before going straight to the dentist just in case all my Water Pik-ing and floss threading has left anything behind :oops:
Krystal

Click here to read my story!
Estimated Treatment Time: 22 Months

believer1964

#23 Post by believer1964 »

i scheduled 3 appts in 1 day for the following:

1. appt for ortho to remove the wires top and bottom.
2. appt to clean teeth by dentist. (removing the wires makes it much easier and better for the dentist to clean your teeth.)
3. appt to go back to the ortho to put the wires back in .

Chaplains Assistant

#24 Post by Chaplains Assistant »

In the 2 years I had braces I never had the wire removed - the distance between the offices wouldn't have been easy to do as they are 45 minutes apart. I just got debraced on July 23rd and have my 6 month cleaning this Friday so i"ll see if there is anything wrong. I was so glad that my ortho debraced me when he did otherwise I would have had to move my cleaning appt. I also wanted to give my teeth a break before a good cleaning after getting debraced since my teeth were so sore and sensitive after getting my braces off.
Sentenced to 24 months
Upper & lower Metals
Braced on 8/23/2010
Debraced 7/23/12

tfischer

#25 Post by tfischer »

When my 6 month cleaning was due, the first one since having braces, I told the ortho office and they scheduled my dentist appt for me - they are in the same complex (a couple doors away from each other) - the ortho scheduled me in their office 10 minutes before the dentist appt so they could remove the wire - went to the cleaning and then went back to the ortho to have my adjustment. My ortho is very proactive about coordinating this for me....Plus my hygenist told me that its fine either way, to have the wire in or out....it makes their job easier if its out.....

JillD

#26 Post by JillD »

I have four cleanings per year, two with my general dentist and the other two with a hygienist at my periodontist's office. I had all of my cleanings done with my wires on. I had a cleaning at my periodontist's office yesterday. I thought the hygienist seemed to be in rush and I didn't like that. When she told me she was done so I could rinse my mouth, I felt something was poking my mouth badly. I told her that. She said that she felt something was moving while she was cleaning but she couldn't find anything wrong. Finally she handed over a mirror to me. I could see the tied end of one of my braided wires on my archwire was out of its original place. It used to be tucked toward my tooth so that it would not poke my mouth. Now it was twisted toward my mouth. I showed it to her, and she managed to fix it. But I was so pissed. Shouldn't she have been more careful with someone with braces? She had cleaned my teeth without a problem last time. Since I know she wouldn't have made a mistake like that if she had taken her time, I am more pissed.

roxie2519

#27 Post by roxie2519 »

Hmm, usually she removes my archiwire.. but sometimes forgets to even brush my teeth before changing the wires

Ness817

#28 Post by Ness817 »

Removing the wire and driving across town for a cleaning, then driving back across town to get a wire (new?) seems kinda much of a dentist to ask. Then again, I am not going to the orthodontist he normally refers his patients too. That ortho three block away, 2-6 minutes with traffic. Dentist to Ortho, 20-25 minutes without traffic. Hoping dentist can clean with wire in.

BracedSurgeryStudent

#29 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

My dentist doesn't care. But my orthodontist makes me take out my wires and the colours off so the brackets can be cleaned too and they can get under the wire. Then after the appointment I get my adjustment back at the orthodontist.
Jenn Medeiros

ITALIANNYC

#30 Post by ITALIANNYC »

I have never had the wire come out during a cleaning. My hygienist does not care. She said the only time they would need to take out the arch wire is for a deep cleaning. Reg normal cleanings, there is no need for it.