Dental cleaning and braces - how does YOUR dentist do it?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KeL Anne

Re: Dental cleaning and braces - how does YOUR dentist do it

#31 Post by KeL Anne »

I was wondering about this too. I just got my braces on and I have a cleaning in about 6 weeks. I hope my hygienist will be able to clean around everything.

ktellsch

#32 Post by ktellsch »

I just had my teeth cleaned and my dentist wanted to remove the wire herself because she 'does braces herself'. I asked her not to remove the wire because I just got my braces on 3 weeks ago and wasn't comfortable with her doing that especially since I did not clear it with my ortho. She advised that next time I get my teeth cleaned they will remove the wire there. It definitely sounds more convenient than having to drive back and forth from ortho to dentist to ortho but I am not sure that I am on board with her doing that.

plugnickel69

#33 Post by plugnickel69 »

My hygienist has had no problem cleaning my teeth and my ortho does not remove my wires beforehand. Do not let your dentist remove anything without your ortho's permission. Sounds like it's time to get a new dentist.

beachmini

#34 Post by beachmini »

I had my teeth cleaned today, without having the wire removed. My hygienist worked around the wire, but asked that next time I have the wire removed. My orthodontist is right downstairs, and the receptionist said that they would schedule me to have my ligs and wire removed, see the Doctor, so he can decide what to do next. Then I will go upstairs for my cleaning and then come back down to get everything put back together.

Ciara

#35 Post by Ciara »

My ortho does the cleaning. About every 2 months when she has removed my arch wire she will do a rather thorough cleaning (professional mechanical tooth cleaning). My ortho and dentist work at the same clinic so everything is very easy for me. If my ortho notices anything, she will usually call my dentist over to take a look.

MrsCharisma

#36 Post by MrsCharisma »

I have always gotten my wire out. I just prefer it that way. So much food gets stuck AROUND the brackets/wire that I just feel better having it removed. It's worth the inconvenience 2x a year...

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

MrsCharisma

#37 Post by MrsCharisma »

ktellsch wrote:I just had my teeth cleaned and my dentist wanted to remove the wire herself because she 'does braces herself'. I asked her not to remove the wire because I just got my braces on 3 weeks ago and wasn't comfortable with her doing that especially since I did not clear it with my ortho. She advised that next time I get my teeth cleaned they will remove the wire there. It definitely sounds more convenient than having to drive back and forth from ortho to dentist to ortho but I am not sure that I am on board with her doing that.
My ortho office says absolutely NOT to allow them to remove anything. So I'd check with your ortho before allowing them to do that. If anything goes wrong, it becomes not your orthos problem.

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

TheKT

#38 Post by TheKT »

I had Ortho remove wires and then went for cleaning and then wires replaced.

Lorianne

#39 Post by Lorianne »

I go for cleanings 3X year. That said, I've only had 2 so far. First time, no wire removed. Second time, wire removed. My dentist (or hygenist) said to get wire removed when I'm scheduled to take xrays as part of my cleaning/checkup, so I had that done the last time, but it was definitely a hassle and my ortho and dentist are only 10-15 mins apart, not bad, but still a hassle. It was pouring rain that day and I had to go back and forth for what seemed like the entire day, in and out of my car, getting all wet and icky. Yeah, I won't be doing that again. That said, I do feel like I got a much better cleaning with the wire out! Oh well, maybe after enough time passes, I'll forget what a hassle it was and do it again.