Hook pushed into gum

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bb2811

Hook pushed into gum

#1 Post by bb2811 »

Hi - I have a problem - my back right bottom molar band hook seems to have pushed into my gum. No wonder I have had so much trouble getting my lateral band on that side?

I have good oral cleaning practices and both my ortho and hygenist have commented about how clean my teeth are - could it be that I'm not cleaning well enough - or is it b/c that moral seems to have moved to the left, towards the inside of my mouth?

Has this happened to anyone else - I have an ortho appointment in a couple of weeks - should I go earlier?

BracedSurgeryStudent

Re: Hook pushed into gum

#2 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

Hey Ive got the SAME thing on all my hools basically. Esp the top last ones I think thats how it is but if you want you can tell the ortho and the assistant will bend the hooks out more so that you can put the bands out easilier.
Jenn Medeiros

TMJJill

#3 Post by TMJJill »

I struggled for over a month when I first got elastics. I spent hours trying to get the elastics on thinking I just needed to learn how. Turns out the hook was laying up against my tooth. When they tried to adjust it, the bracket popped off so they just did the adjustment before putting it on. After that, I got the elastic on first try. If only I knew to ask about this sooner.

JennyLaughs

#4 Post by JennyLaughs »

I would call the ortho today and get an emergency appt as soon as possible. Even if there's nothing seriously wrong, it's good for them to look things over and tell you what they think.