Anyone else started clenching their teeth since braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lu lu

Anyone else started clenching their teeth since braces?

#1 Post by lu lu »

Has anyone else found themselves clenching their teeth since getting braced?

I don't think I did it before braces, never really noticed & my dentist or ortho have never mentioned it, but recently I wake up in a morning & I can feel i've been doing it & my teeth ache. I sometimes wake up & i'm still doing it. I find myself doing it whilst awake on occassions too.

Feel like i'm gurning lol :shock:

Anyone else experiencing this?

I hope it stops I don't want to ruin my nashers
For my Braces Story - with photos click here
Wearing Lower Ceramic Brace / Upper Lingual Brace (Incognito) / Sentence 18 - 24 months

thmmom

Re: Anyone else started clenching their teeth since braces?

#2 Post by thmmom »

I would clench my teeth together when I was sleeping for about the first 3 months. I would wake up in the middle of the night and my teeth would be really sore. It bothered me when it was happening and I was worried it wouldn't go away either. I'm not exactly sure when it stopped, but I haven't done it for at least a couple of months now. I think I did it because my bite had changed so much that if I didn't clench my teeth together, my mouth would open while I was sleeping. I was really glad when it stopped. Hopefully it won't last much longer for you.
Ceramic braces top & bottom on 6/24/10

llehsal

#3 Post by llehsal »

Oh yes. I do that now, since I have in the braces. I don't know what causes it, but sometimes I unclench at night and feel the pain from unknowingly having it clamped down for some time. I do it as well during waking hours especially when I'm concentrating on something really hard. It's painful when I release though, so I need to work on that. How? Not sure :Questions:

Shelby's Braces Story - http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=35311

alissataylor0214

#4 Post by alissataylor0214 »

llehsal wrote:Oh yes. I do that now, since I have in the braces. I don't know what causes it, but sometimes I unclench at night and feel the pain from unknowingly having it clamped down for some time. I do it as well during waking hours especially when I'm concentrating on something really hard. It's painful when I release though, so I need to work on that. How? Not sure :Questions:

I do the exact same thing! Who knew we were all experiencing this?!?

peach

#5 Post by peach »

I've noticed that I clench my teeth at night too. It varies. There's been a few mornings where, as soon as I've woken up, my jaw just does this weird little involuntary tremor, like it's loosening up again. Kinda like when you get the chills and you shiver. That doesn't happen very often but it's still crazy weird. :shock:

Takako

#6 Post by Takako »

I've found myself once or twice on over two years waking up with sore teeth from clenching, but it's not a normal thing.

drrick

#7 Post by drrick »

Most likley if you clench now you clenched before. You just didnt know it.
It is far easier to notice when you are wearing braces then when you are not (teeth are more sore, you ar generally more "in tune" with what is going on in your mouth, etc)
It comes from a signal from the brain and yoo typically cant 'cure' it but you can manage it.

Headaches, neckaches, pain behind the eyes can often be caused by clenching. Often times these are mis diagnosed (either by doc or by self as sinus problems or other issues)

I am a clencher, I wear an NTI at night and if I forget a portion of a night I pay for it.
I have had many staff members who had migraines that we have treated (pts too) and have rec'd substantial relief.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

preciouskiss825

#8 Post by preciouskiss825 »

I am also experiencing this. I did not do this before braces.

BraceFace2o1o

#9 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

I think I am grinding my teeth less since being in braces, but I'm definitely starting to clench more :(. The past few weeks I have been waking up in the morning with my jaw/teeth really tightly clenched to the point where my teeth ache. My braces are not causing me anymore discomfort, probably because I've had the same wire since November... but this clenching is making my teeth ache in the mornings.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

Theresa48

#10 Post by Theresa48 »

Yes, I have become a clencher as well... I try not to, pretty sure I do in my sleep. Seems to be pretty normal, but if it is giving you headaches etc, then tell the ortho....almost braced for 9 months and this seems to be an on and off kind of thing...lately, I can't stop clenching...

bracesagain2

#11 Post by bracesagain2 »

peach wrote:I've noticed that I clench my teeth at night too. It varies. There's been a few mornings where, as soon as I've woken up, my jaw just does this weird little involuntary tremor, like it's loosening up again. Kinda like when you get the chills and you shiver. That doesn't happen very often but it's still crazy weird. :shock:

Hi everyone - Omigosh - I thought I was going crazy! I was trying to explain to my husband what it felt like - it feels like the chills & shiver as peach described exactly - and the involuntary tremor. And I noticed when I wake up, I'm clenching my teeth so hard. I was going to ask my ortho about this.
I've never experienced this before till I got the braces. It was just so weird to me. I'm just glad to know others are going thru it so it's not just me.
But it's a really weird feeling. Guess that's part of getting braces. :| Hope it goes away eventually.

TTR

#12 Post by TTR »

I just had my upper braces put on 16 days ago. I too stated to clench my teeth. Thefirst week I woul wake up in the middle of the night clenching. Yes I have been grinding but never clenching to my knowledge.

Pacha05

#13 Post by Pacha05 »

Hi i know this is an old post but i am experiencing exactly the same. Can you please tell me how long the pain in your teeth lasted after clenching? Sometimes mine only lasts a day, other times over a week but maybe i am clenching again the following night. I thought it wasnt normal so went to the dentist as i was also getting sensitivity to cold amd she thinks i may need root canal after telling her my symptoms. I am sure its just from clenching as i have no abscess? Thanks.

Link to my blog http://pachabrace.blogspot.com

Estimated sentence 24 months

tfischer

#14 Post by tfischer »

Me too.....but even more so since I am wearing rubber bands from top teeth to lower teeth... thank goodness others are doing it too. Prior to braces, I did not clench my teeth. Since having braces on, I do it more now then at the beginning. I guess we are our own unique group....

klobird

#15 Post by klobird »

I have always been a teeth clencher, but it has gotten so much worse as my bite as become more aligned. It's like now when I clench, I can feel my teeth fitting together like a hand in a glove, and I think I clench even more because I like the way it feels! And I am really stressed at work due to some major changes, so I find myself clenching even during the day...used to be mostly at night....

It has gotten so bad that I have briefly considered talking to the ortho about it. But I'm afraid that it would lead to molar build-ups, and I'm done with all the weird things in my mouth--if I can help it!