A little advice from me to everybody.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

felicia

A little advice from me to everybody.

#1 Post by felicia »

Are you about to finish your treatment and you or your ortho believe that you need some shaving done? My advice is: Do not shave the edges of your teeth until a couple months after debanding. Just let your teeth settle for a while. I've been debanded for 1 month and teeth still moved a little. So, what you shave at the time of your debanding might end up not looking so good and even after teeth settle a little bit. I know that all of us want to walk out of the office with teeth looking perfect on our debanding date, but we put up with braces for months and years, so what's a couple more months of being patience and do the shaving a couple months later?
Take this advice from someone who regrets shaving 1 tooth. I wish I hadn't done it.

rhomboid

Re: A little advice from me to everybody.

#2 Post by rhomboid »

Thanks for sharing good info.

fraid090

#3 Post by fraid090 »

Sorry you're not happy but thanks for sharing. I will definately bear this in mind ...

seriousthinker

#4 Post by seriousthinker »

IPR is forming part of my treatment. Is that what you mean? If not I'd have to have extractions and close those gaps as well as straightening.

ST

felicia

#5 Post by felicia »

Seriousthinker - No, I do not mean IPR. IPR is a procedure done between teeth, as you already know. I really do not know the medical term for what I am refering to, but it is done on the biting edge of the teeth.

bracedup

#6 Post by bracedup »

Thanks for this wonderful piece of advise :)

yoginbraces

#7 Post by yoginbraces »

I agree. I made the mistake years ago having a dentist shave the biting edge of one of my front teeth to make it appear even with the other side -- MISTAKE!! Now one tooth is shorter than the one next to it. What I needed was braces to create alignment but didnt understand that at the time. Thanks for your good advice.

Also, after I have all of my IPR and shaving I plan to ask ortho for a fixed retained PLUS a regular essix retainer. I don't want any shifting once treatment is finished.

revontuli

#8 Post by revontuli »

Thanks for this advice! I know I'll need this done eventually, and was silently hoping I could do it sooner rather than later. Now I know to just cool my jets and wait. Thanks!

petal

#9 Post by petal »

I am so glad you posted this advice. It is easy to want them perfect right away, but the shaving can't be undone! Thanks again.

gokix

#10 Post by gokix »

Good advice, thanks :)

Dilema

#11 Post by Dilema »

so you can shave your teeth to have them appear even straighter? nice

thanks for the advice