What options are available to me? Please help!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sambia

What options are available to me? Please help!

#1 Post by sambia »

Hi guys :)

I used to use this forum back in 2004/2005, when I was in braces. I was in braces for about 18 months and having seen everyone's photos I was so optimistic about what my end results would be.

When the braces came off I was really disappointed ... my teeth looked so small and rounded, not at all like the hollywood smile I'd dreamed of. Dunno how or why i'd lulled myself into thinking that the ortho would manage to work magic and totally change my smile ... looking back i now know he could only work with what he was given and I was being totally niave.

Anyway, to cut a long story short i remember having loads of regrets when my braces came off, thinking I'd just wasted my £2000 and should have gone for veneers (my teeth are spaced out, small and very rounded). I had to wear those plastic retainers (essix?) but hated the feel of them in my mouth and they were always really painful as my ortho had removed my braces as soon as my teeth were in place, not allowing my teeth enough time to settle so every time I'd take the retainers out they'd start to move and my teeth would really hurt when I put them back in. I also found that i was subconciously removing them in my sleep. On one such occasion I woke up to find I'd slept on my retainer and it had cracked :(

I was really silly. I know I should have gone back to my ortho but I was too blase about the whole thing and stopped wearing my retainers altogether (probably 3/4 after the braces had come off).

After a few months my teeth started to move and I was really pleased as the more they started to stick out, the bigger they looked and the less gummy my smile looked. Unfortunately that didnt last, they carried on moving and the gaps began to reappear. I'm now at a stage where they've pretty much moved back to the way they originally were.

I really want to regain the smile I had back in 2006, when my teeth had moved but still looked quite big but dunno how to go about it. I really dont want to go back into braces but invisalign wont be suitable (thats what i was told by my dentist when i first spoke to him about getting braces). I'd love to get veneers but couldn't afford them as pretty much all of my teeth would need to be done, plus my teeth still sometimes get sore which makes me think theyre still moving.

What would yo do? If i did have to get braces again I would defo ask for a fixed retainer!

psych braces

#2 Post by psych braces »

Hi Sambia,
I'm new to the whole ortho thing but I think that if your teeth are still moving then this is absolutely the right time to do something about it. Perhaps braces then fixed retainer is the solution and this time around it may be quite quick since your teeth are already in motion. I really am glad that you came in with this story because it can serve as a lesson to all of us. I know that I definately learned something.