Life with elastics.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

imwiredtoo

Life with elastics.

#1 Post by imwiredtoo »

Hello all.

Just as I was thinking that the worst part of my orthodontic journey was long gone and done, I got elastics. I'm so surprised by the pain and discomfort they cause. The first week in braces seems now, in retrospect, like a piece of cake. The powerchain is not even worth mentioning. During my treatment, I have only complained about the pain of front teeth, however, now it's all teeth, the whole mouth and jaw.. and the pain is worse than ever.

So I'm curious, does what I'm experiencing sound normal to you, guys, or should I be worried about something? Also, is it actually possible to get used to with elastics?

I'd also like to know is it OK to drink hot tea with elastics, or should I take them out while drinking?

Thanks guys for sharing your experience.

Good day!

:wink:

TumbleDryLow

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

Elastics are a pain, literally and figuratively. But as with everything else that has been done to you over the course of your orthodontic journey---you will get used to this as well. The pain will subside, but can be quite intense at first. I too remember my first few days in elastics as being quite painful--especially my molars. As for drinking, you can definitely drink whatever you wish with them in, I do it all the time.

Waiting2BeFabulous

#3 Post by Waiting2BeFabulous »

I've been wearing elastics for almost 2 weeks and haven't felt any pain from them since about 2 days after I started wearing them. I wonder if different configurations cause different pain (this makes sense I guess?). I'm wearing mine in the front (the triangle configuration) and have gotten used to them completely. I drink with them in all the time, and even try to eat some foods with them too.
I've heard that you should absolutely wear them however your ortho prescribes, not only to stay on track for your treatment, but because leaving them out for a while and putting them back on will only re-create the pain each time.

So far I'm proud of myself for keeping them in about 24 hours a day....when I first got braced, I'm PRETTY sure that if I could have, I would have taken those wires out on Day 2! Thankfully, they weren't going anywhere.....the elastics are, to a degree, "optional"...meaning, you can control whether they're there or not...they're so easy to take out! Lol..but I'm being good - I have NO INTEREST in keeping these braces in my mouth for any longer than I need to!

Waiting2BeFabulous

#4 Post by Waiting2BeFabulous »

I've been wearing elastics for almost 2 weeks and haven't felt any pain from them since about 2 days after I started wearing them. I wonder if different configurations cause different pain (this makes sense I guess?). I'm wearing mine in the front (the triangle configuration) and have gotten used to them completely. I drink with them in all the time, and even try to eat some foods with them too.
I've heard that you should absolutely wear them however your ortho prescribes, not only to stay on track for your treatment, but because leaving them out for a while and putting them back on will only re-create the pain each time.

So far I'm proud of myself for keeping them in about 24 hours a day....when I first got braced, I'm PRETTY sure that if I could have, I would have taken those wires out on Day 2! Thankfully, they weren't going anywhere.....the elastics are, to a degree, "optional"...meaning, you can control whether they're there or not...they're so easy to take out! Lol..but I'm being good - I have NO INTEREST in keeping these braces in my mouth for any longer than I need to!

JTT

#5 Post by JTT »

Hi imwiredtoo -- My ortho told me he figures he can subtract three months from the treatment time of an adult just because they'll wear their elastics when they're supposed to.

I wore elastics 24/7 for 15 weeks. They pulled my bottom teeth from in front of my top teeth to their correct position behind them, which was a long way ortho-wise. I amused myself by biting into wax to watch how far they'd gotten.

I was super-conscientious, taking them out only to eat, and sometimes even leaving them in then, if they'd stay. It was amazing how fast and how far all those teeth moved. Even the ortho was impressed.

Then -- nasty surprise! -- I wore "Dracula" elastics for 8 weeks at night only to pull the bottom and top teeth into contact. He said if I'd been willing to wear them 24/7 it'd have been 4 weeks for the second stage, but people were getting pretty grossed out when I opened my mouth in public.

This was definitely the most difficult part of my treatment, and rather painful at times, especially at the beginning. But get this: you minimize the pain AND speed up treatment by leaving them in full time!

Now my teeth are exactly where they were when I stopped wearing the elastics. It's like a mini-achievement in my life.

macgirl4ever

#6 Post by macgirl4ever »

I'm in my nineteenth week of elastics. I have worn Class II configurations and Class II Triangle configurations. My first five days were a killer. What finally really helped was chewing a sugar free gum that doesn't stick to dental work. It initially hurt like CRAZY when I chewed but after three sticks, the throbbing finally went away. Now my teeth hurt if I DON'T wear the elastics!
Braced: 20 months March 2009-November 2010

yj207

#7 Post by yj207 »

This is my day 2 in elastics. I have this constant headache and realized it's probably from the elastics! I took some ibuprofen and ate something but man I can't believe the numbing pain that just won't go away! Even tho its annoying and making me feel "out of it" I am excited to finally fix my bite.
Braced for 23 months 1 week and 3 days!
I had 4 extractions and all my wisdom teeth removed.
I decided to get removal retainers so it will be easier to floss.

imwiredtoo

#8 Post by imwiredtoo »

Thanks for your replies, guys! You've been really encouraging. :)

I'm 'happy' to know that I'm not unique then. I will, of course, follow the ortho's instructions because I know I'm doing it only for myself. It's worse than yesterday and my bite is way off.. well it's been off since I started with the treatment. Hopefully my patience will pay off eventually! :wink:

FrockyHorror

#9 Post by FrockyHorror »

I've been wearing elastics for almost 2 weeks and haven't felt any pain from them since about 2 days after I started wearing them.
Exactly the same for me!
I have this constant headache and realized it's probably from the elastics!
... also the same experience I had!! I had a stabbing pain that felt like it went up through my nose (has now gone).

I was expecting the pain from my elastics to last a lot longer than it has done ... what I wasn't expecting was for them to look the way they do!! Having read one of the earlier posts I'm now off to find something to bite so I can gauge how far they are moving :lol:

signingsunflower

#10 Post by signingsunflower »

I'm right there with you! I got braced 18 months ago. Piece of cake. Yesterday I got 6 steel ties, 6 teeth in powerchains, and triangle elastics. Feels like I took a punch to the mouth. I've been putting ice on the front of my mouth and taking lots of advil. It's helping!
Check out my blog by clicking on www.
Initial Consult/Molds: 9/10/08
8 Spacers: 10/17/08
Brace Day: 10/24/08
First Adjustment: 12/5/08
Sentence: 2-3 years

kilikena311

#11 Post by kilikena311 »

I've had elastics for a little over a week now, and they have not hurt since about the 3rd day after I started wearing them. They are medium weight though so maybe that makes a difference. I have noticed that my teeth/mouth feel funny when I don't have them in for eating. Funny how quickly you can get used to things.

imwiredtoo

#12 Post by imwiredtoo »

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm back and with no pain. :) I never expected the pain to fade away that fast. You were all right, it took only 2 or 3 days for me to get completely used to with them.