Poll: At What Age Did You Get Your Braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

At What Age Did You Start Your Current Orthodontic Treatment?

18 to 21
15%
22 to 29
36%
30 to 39
29%
40 to 49
13%
50 to 59
6%
60 plus
1%

Total votes: 2072

Wired Skull

#76 Post by Wired Skull »

Hi again.
I started my treatment at the "old" age of 38 and had my braces for 2,5 years. I removed them in june 2009.

Next week at the age of 41 I need to put braces on once again as my bite has shifted. That sucks but I don't mind it as I want my teeth good loocking.

I'm planning to update my thread I haven't maintained since november 2008.

//Wiredskull
Braces on: 2007-01-20
Ceramics upper and lower.
Elastics: 2007-08-16
Debanding: 2008-11-20 / 2009-06-12
Braces again: 2010-07-05
Metal - Lower only.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wiredskull ... 501093091/

Kiwioverseas

#77 Post by Kiwioverseas »

Hi All

Im am 26 and have just got top and bottom metal braces.

nessness

#78 Post by nessness »

week after I turned 23...Uni student as well so all my classmates were somewhat amazed. Some even said aren't you too old for braces. I just turn round and say watch when they're off!
Hope to get them off before I turn 25 but not a rush I actually like them ;)

After 9 teeth removed, one Impacted canine surgery I already see a huge difference, the button was put on the canine 4 weeks ago and its already come down really far...wrong way round but really far :p
For anyone thinking about braces...wow...little pains here and there but the rewards are almost heavenly. Brings a sense of self confidence you didn't have before.

Wongohk

#79 Post by Wongohk »

30, could not afford in high school so hard to wait another 15 years later then first asked...

abaglady

#80 Post by abaglady »

I got my braces on 13th July 2010, nearly 3 weeks ago, at the age of 35... Ceramic top and bottom. I have wanted to do this for years, but like many members posting here, haven't been able to afford it until recently. Will be in braces for about 18 months, but really hoping they'll be off by Christmas 2011.

Fantastic to see so many people posting on this forum - it's good to know I am not alone in starting this journey well into adulthood!

bottlecap1990

#81 Post by bottlecap1990 »

I am getting mine in 5 days. At the age of 20 years old.

Openwide

Newbie here

#82 Post by Openwide »

Hi :-) I'm to turn 30 this year, in Sept. I got my braces in early June this year. I got it as a big 3-0 birthday gift for myself. I got a combination of clear and metal brackets, with which I'm pretty happy, to (attempt to) close my big honking openbite (about 4mm? greater around the k9s because they are also crooked) and resolve some crowding issues.

So I won't quite have the perfect smile when I turn 30, but at least I've made this huge (and wise) investment and I'm quite proud of that!

When I had my braces for just 3 weeks, my upper incisors (which had been overlapping quite hideously) straightened out and now they sit happily side by side. Now my ortho is tackling (I guess I am, too) the openbite and crooked k9s, which is proving to be way more troublesome..the battle continues!

I really like this website, I was looking for a place to discuss matters with people who've had braces, ask questions etc! And in real life I avoid talking about my teeth and braces.

shellycassada

#83 Post by shellycassada »

I got my braces put on July 6th of this year. I'm 35 years young ;) I've always wanted braces but just now able to get them on. So far so good. I've not experienced anything different than what has already been posted.

planetpluto

#84 Post by planetpluto »

Got braced last week at 34 for the first time. Have needed them all my life, but my speech therapist that I saw as a child didn't believe in braces (he believed in manual therapy), etc.

Was told I will be braced for 1 1/2 years and will need maxillary expansion midway through that. Wish I had done this a LOT sooner.

midlifesmile

#85 Post by midlifesmile »

I am 45 and have braces for the first time as of Aug. 16th. I had perfect teeth growing up but my lower teeth have shifted forward and "up" and I have been biting off bits of tooth for about 10 years.

I waited so long after the problem started because I wanted to be sure my kids had their braces out of the way before I did it. THANKFULLY my younger two do not need braces so I BIT THE BULLET, as it were!

xiaocowdemon

#86 Post by xiaocowdemon »

i got braces a week ago, just after I turned 17. Doing good, just hurts to chew... :(

crookedsmile1

#87 Post by crookedsmile1 »

This is my second time getting braces. I had braces initially when I was 12 years old till I turned 16!! They fixed my crossbite and severely crooked teeth. And I had a beautiful perfect smile for two years before my jaw decided to have a late growth spurt.

I'm 18 now and I'm not too happy going to college with a metal mouth :/

WoodWillow

#88 Post by WoodWillow »

I got my braces on this morning... and I turned 30 four days ago!

Ceramics on top, metal on the bottom.

50+

#89 Post by 50+ »

I got mine at 53
50+ ceramics top and bottom as of 2-16-10
Scheduled to have braces removed on 8-16-12!!

musiclady2340

age fro braces

#90 Post by musiclady2340 »

55 when I got braces. Very challenging.