Overjet and overbite, what to do? (pics included)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

VA5

#31 Post by VA5 »

theKurp,

I'm curious... I look at your bottom row of teeth in the before pictures and that's how mine look now (after 13 months of braces.. I don't remember my teeth looking like that, with a curve in the middle front going up, sort of like a little rollercoaster in your mouth). How did your ortho fix that.. b/c in your later picture with braces, the bottom teeth look straight across. I guess they call this leveling of the teeth (?). How did they achieve that? Is it just by the force of the wire? And, did the wire push your front middle teeth down to be more even with your molars or were the molars raised to match the front middle teeth?

thanks for your input.. it's the one thing that is really really bugging me when i look at my teeth. i think it looks odd to have roller coaster looking teeth, i feel they should be straight looking.

theKurp

#32 Post by theKurp »

VAS,

The front lower incisors were over-extruded. This typically happens over time with an overjet because there is no contact with the upper incisors.

To answer your question, yes, the leveling of the lower incisors was achieved with an arch wire alone.

I don't know that I've had any movement with my upper molars except in terms of arch expansion. However I did have one upper canine that was over-extruded and it was brought up to be more in line with my front incisors. So no, I have had no movement in my front teeth that I'm aware of.

VA5

#33 Post by VA5 »

theKurp wrote:VAS,

The front lower incisors were over-extruded. This typically happens over time with an overjet because there is no contact with the upper incisors.

To answer your question, yes, the leveling of the lower incisors was achieved with an arch wire alone.

I don't know that I've had any movement with my upper molars except in terms of arch expansion. However I did have one upper canine that was over-extruded and it was brought up to be more in line with my front incisors. So no, I have had no movement in my front teeth that I'm aware of.
Thanks so much for the explantion. For the molars, I actually meant your lower molars.. I was wondering if they raised those up to meet the front lower incisors of it they pushed the front lower incisors down to meet the molars in the back (bottom). When the leveling occured, which teeth moved up or down? Lol.. hope that makes sense. Also, how long did it take for the leveling?

I am just so frustrated. I had my ortho today and it's been 13 months and my teeth are still being leveled (well, after being rotated and all those other things they need to do).. my main goal in getting braces was to retract my protrusive teeth and no retracting has occured yet. There is one stubborn tooth on the top and she wants that completely level before she retracts the top. She's been retracting the bottom for the last couple of months and that is almost done. So right now, I have I guess what you'd call an overbite. I think the overbite (or is it overjet) of my top teeth is about 6-7 mm. I don't know what is normal.