questions about extractions and change in face

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jainchat786

questions about extractions and change in face

#1 Post by jainchat786 »

hi...I am 21 year male...and undergoing orthodontic treatment for the last 2 yrs.. i had 4 bicuspids extractions done at the beginning of my treatment.i.e. when i was of 18.....

now prior extractions i had very gud facial aesthetics & i nvr knew dat extractions would affect my facial aesthetics to such an extent but damn....they did...& .ma photogenic face has been brought down to an average one due to xtractions of my 4 premolars...if i had known d possible consequences of extractions prior itself ...damn i wud have never undergone this treatment......

this has really affected my self-esteem and my confidence.....for the last 1 and half year i am struggling wid my lyfe due to these braces....my face has got falttened ,,,less protruding chin, lower jaw gong backwards,decreased facial volume etc. are few of the many damages which has been done to me due to extractions.....

now ma question is--...does any further faical growth takes place after 18...is it possible that i had got vertical face growth after my 4 bicuspids extractions at 18.??????

Now what i am considering is that can i go for implantation of ma 4 biscuspids...by recerating.spaces through dental archs expansion and can regain my lost faical aesthetics. ..IS IT POSSIBLE????plz give ur valuable suggestions...it would be bery helpful for me....everyday i wake wid a hope dat things wud get fyne one day........

i wud be very grateful to any of the suggestions...plz help me.... if any more information is needed..plz do tell me....I m ready to do anything in dis world....to get rid of this

starzz

#2 Post by starzz »

Facial growth can occasionally occur in males past age 18. It may be possible to have implants or there may be some other options to improve facial aesthetics. You need to talk to an orthodontist about this. Have you attempted to discuss this with your current ortho? You may need to request a special appointment for this. Also consider seeking the opinion of another ortho. If you are in the US, a consultation is usually free. You can have a consult at another office even while you are undergoing braces with your current ortho. (Some people do this when they are very dissatisfied with the treatment they are getting and thinking of switching to a new ortho.)
Braced for 2 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 5 days (the 2nd time ‘round)
Hawley on top, Essix on bottom

gracey82

#3 Post by gracey82 »

Im so sorry to hear it. I can understand how you feel, thinking going thru the extraction and braces will make your more attractive and not less!

Im glad I insist on not extracting my teeth and found an orthon who agree with me, as he is experienced in facial profile research too and think I wouldnt like if my facial profile will be flattened.

Expanding arch could be one solution. Good luck!

sillano

extraction nightmare

#4 Post by sillano »

Hi I just wanted to respond about your experience with extractions. I am going through the same thing. I had 3 pre molars extracted 3 years ago, within 6 months my face completely changed, my ortho told me I would lose a little bit of fullness in my lips, but never told me I would look way older, and would lose volume my cheeks and face. I really feel for you..and I know how you feel, it is soooo hard to deal with, when you do something to make an improvement and end up looking worse than you did. Have you figured out a way to resolve your problem? It seems it is very hard to fix. I convinced my ortho do reopen the spaces, but it hasn't fixed the problem, because the bone has reabsorbed, and the teeth are not in the original position, once the molars have come forward to meet with the front teeth to close the spaces, it is very difficult to get them back in there original position. I am getting dental implants placed (cost10k) and will be getting fillers put in my lips and cheeks to try to rebuild the soft tissues that have sadly been lost due to the tooth extraction. It will cost me alot of $$ to maintain. Its to bad the professionals didn't warn about the true effects that happen when teeth are extracted. I would have never done it this way had I known!! Let me know how it goes for you.

khrystal1968

#5 Post by khrystal1968 »

I feel for both of you. I am going thru the same thing.

jonathon003

#6 Post by jonathon003 »

can anyone elaborate here what this "flattening" of the profile means when discussing extractions??? i'm a few months in right now after having my 4 premolars extracted and i'd really like to know what possibilities may be looming.

do you mean from looking at the side face profile...your mouth/lips move backwards towards your neck sorta thing? so flattening in that sense?? or do you mean when looking at someone's face from head on, so you can see both eyes, the cheeks flatten and get narrower, giving a more triangular type face when looking from say a bird's eye view. i hope that can be understood lol.

i'm really sorry to hear about everyone's issues with their extractions; it's so unfair considering we have no idea what will happen to our faces and you'd THINK the experts, ie ortho who does this so often, would be able to shed light on these things. i'm getting a little scared now.

nessness

#7 Post by nessness »

I'm overly worrying when I see comments like this because I have to have four healthy teeth extracted...that already is like a pain in my side. But mine is medical, the way my teeth are now is affecting my health so unless I want a more painful time in my future braces are the ONLY option right now. I've been to 3 orthos and it's the same conclusion that four need to be taken out.
Now, I'm a girl that likes being who she is regardless of the teeth...if they werent affecting me so much I would leave them as they are.

I know it's nice to vent and all, but the ONLY one who can help you on this one is the orthodontist.
But just remember when you're in braces, diets can change, so some can be due to that and as your teeth are still moving, your face is still changing. I remember when this was discussed in some looong thread..if you search it you should find it, but now after reading that and this, I'm actually considering NOT to get anything done, even though it's kind of neccessary in my case. I'm a hospital phobe enough as it is....and my treatment is going to be done at the hospital... So making me alot worse.

Krystal, I've seen your pictures and in my opinion your face hasn't changed. At the end of the day you are the expert on yourself so you will see what others can't, but the angle, facial expression, and framing of the shot is not the same by far...so if it looks different, its probably because of those factors. If I was to just throw an opinion on it I would say the second makes you look more radiant than the first so I don't know, but to me your facial structure still looks strong and good to me.

Kirti

Re: questions about extractions and change in face

#8 Post by Kirti »

jainchat786 wrote:hi...I am 21 year male...and undergoing orthodontic treatment for the last 2 yrs.. i had 4 bicuspids extractions done at the beginning of my treatment.i.e. when i was of 18.....

now prior extractions i had very gud facial aesthetics & i nvr knew dat extractions would affect my facial aesthetics to such an extent but damn....they did...& .ma photogenic face has been brought down to an average one due to xtractions of my 4 premolars...if i had known d possible consequences of extractions prior itself ...damn i wud have never undergone this treatment......

this has really affected my self-esteem and my confidence.....for the last 1 and half year i am struggling wid my lyfe due to these braces....my face has got falttened ,,,less protruding chin, lower jaw gong backwards,decreased facial volume etc. are few of the many damages which has been done to me due to extractions.....

now ma question is--...does any further faical growth takes place after 18...is it possible that i had got vertical face growth after my 4 bicuspids extractions at 18.??????

Now what i am considering is that can i go for implantation of ma 4 biscuspids...by recerating.spaces through dental archs expansion and can regain my lost faical aesthetics. ..IS IT POSSIBLE????plz give ur valuable suggestions...it would be bery helpful for me....everyday i wake wid a hope dat things wud get fyne one day........

i wud be very grateful to any of the suggestions...plz help me.... if any more information is needed..plz do tell me....I m ready to do anything in dis world....to get rid of this
Hi, I'm going through the same problem. There is Dr. Hang in the US if you still haven't got your extraction spaces reopened and want to reopen them.
Your post is way old and I would like to know if you got reverse extraction treatment or not and if you did what was your experience