Pain from separators?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

deuxsixquatre

Pain from separators?

#1 Post by deuxsixquatre »

A little background info, my wisdom teeth in my lower jaw are both horizontally impacted. It has, I think, pushed my 2nd molars and as a result they are partially impacted on my first molars. My 2nd molars are also partially errupted.

Anyway now I have seperators in for my molars and it's starting to really hurt. The upper molars are doing fine though, I don't feel much. Some tightness and unless I bite on it, there is no pain but my lower molars are starting to be quite bad. The soreness is A LOT more than my top molars and there's even some real pain. It comes and goes and everytime last for anywhere from 30 mins to a couple hours. The pain extends from where I think the impacted teeth are all the way to the my front incisors and the last few times, I'm beginning to feel a little pain in my ears.

Is this normal? Or do I have some rotten molars or are they pressing against some nerve or something? It's not a sharp pain but it's not exactly a dull ache either. I can't really describe the pain. The closest thing I can think of is as if you just bite on something hard on very sore teeth, only that the pain goes on for quite some time.

I'm not sure if separators are supposed to feel like that because I read that separators are the worst for a lot of people. I wonder if anyone feel the same as I do or do I really have something I should be concerned about.[/i]

magster

#2 Post by magster »

I dont think you have anything to worry about. Spacers for me were the worst thing possible. And not to mention, they were sticking out so I kept on trying to pick them out of these with my tongue - since literally it felt like I had food stuck in there.

Not sure how long you are going to have them for (usually a week) but the pain should go away day by day. Mine never went away completely until I got the spacers taken out so for the whole 1 minute I was in heaven :) and then I got the braces :(

pfft.
Spacers: 8 - 4 top, 4 bottom on 04.04.09
Braced on: 04.09.09
Sentence: 18-24 Months

kirjax

#3 Post by kirjax »

Spacers ARE THE WORST!!!

I hated every part of having them in! Braces are an ease compared to spacers!

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

miss25

#4 Post by miss25 »

I have braces on my top and spacers in on the bottom right now and I hate them.

They hurt. One side more than the other. I just want to pick them out. I hate them, maybe even more than the braces.

deuxsixquatre

#5 Post by deuxsixquatre »

Went to get the spacer put it again. One got out in my sleep and the dentist confirmed what everyone said here. It's normal. It's not pushing against anything too serious to cause permanent damage and the reason why it's so much more painful than the top is because of the whole impacted 2nd molars thing.

it's really quite bad. Took 2 panadols and it helped a little. Emphasis on little.

Anyway, if you would compare pain from spacers to pain from closing extraction gap to pain from multiple class 2 elastics, how would you rank them?

newsboysgrl777

#6 Post by newsboysgrl777 »

deuxsixquatre wrote:Went to get the spacer put it again. One got out in my sleep and the dentist confirmed what everyone said here. It's normal. It's not pushing against anything too serious to cause permanent damage and the reason why it's so much more painful than the top is because of the whole impacted 2nd molars thing.

it's really quite bad. Took 2 panadols and it helped a little. Emphasis on little.

Anyway, if you would compare pain from spacers to pain from closing extraction gap to pain from multiple class 2 elastics, how would you rank them?
Deux...I just saw this post in another thread before I opened your thread and thought it might help you out!! :) I hope so!! Sounds like your pain was worse than mine (and maybe some other people's) because of exactly what the dentist said. The more that needs to be moved, the more pain you're going to feel. :-\ I just want to give a brief warning, though, and I'm PRAYING ON YOUR BEHALF that it's not the case, but my lower spacers hurt worse than the uppers (granted, I had them on far longer than the uppers), but when I got the bottom brackets, they hurt worse than the uppers BY FAR! I mean, I was in serious PAIN! That being said, I think it's because I had/have a LOT of movement needed in my bottoms compared to the tops and this might be what is causing me more pain than most people. SO...just be warned that this might happen with you and you'll need to have your pain reliever at the ready and that if you DO experience a lot of pain, it IS normal...but not fun. :( (Luckily, my HORRIBLE, AWFUL pain went away after about 3 or 4 days...but my inability to chew still remains, which is what is causing me the most discomfort right now...and that has nothing to do with the braces themselves, so I think you'll be good to go in as much as 4 days if you do experience significant pain.) ANYWAY..here's the post I wanted to show you..sorry for rambling on ...
kilikena311 wrote:good luck with the spacer. The best thing I found for the spacer pain was Benzodent cream which I found in the denture section but it says it is for denture and brace pain. Its thick so stays where you rub it and it really got that deep down ouchie ache under control. Good luck with everything.

deuxsixquatre

#7 Post by deuxsixquatre »

^thanks. i've been taking 2 panadols whenever it gets really bad. I'll go try the numbing cream. not sure if i'll be able to get it where I live.

OT, my gums bleed today! :shock: like I can actually see the blood and not just taste it! I wasn't even doing anything and it just started bleeding![/i]