Metal Bands

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Dreams

Metal Bands

#1 Post by Dreams »

Does everyone who gets braces end up with metal bands? What's the point and the purpose of them? What determines whether or not you will have them?

Thanks for your patience with a newbies questions!
3.5.09: Spacers
3.10.09 BRACED! (Top)
4.1.09 Next appt.

sirwired

#2 Post by sirwired »

Not everybody gets them. What determines this? You'd have to ask your orthodontist.

I expect some use them because they are possibly more secure on a molar than a bonded bracket.

SirWired

Dreams

#3 Post by Dreams »

sirwired wrote:Not everybody gets them. What determines this? You'd have to ask your orthodontist.

I expect some use them because they are possibly more secure on a molar than a bonded bracket.

SirWired
Yes. I plan on asking him.

I saw only his assistant today for spacers. I plan on asking him when I go in on Tuesday to be braced. :)

Just curious until then what others have experienced.

Thank you so much for sharing. :)
3.10.09 BRACED! (Top)
4.1.09 Next appt.

Tin Indian

#4 Post by Tin Indian »

I started my treatment out with all brackets but ended up with three bands. seems like I had a couple of stubborn teeth and a crown that didn't take to a bracket to kindly.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

Dreams

#5 Post by Dreams »

Tin Indian wrote:I started my treatment out with all brackets but ended up with three bands. seems like I had a couple of stubborn teeth and a crown that didn't take to a bracket to kindly.
Do the bands bother you?
3.10.09 BRACED! (Top)
4.1.09 Next appt.

sdawdy

#6 Post by sdawdy »

No, not everyone gets the bands....I originally only had them on the back molars, but then got one on another tooth as it was to short to get a lingual button attached to it. I gather each ortho does it differently and in my case they need to correct my bite and they said it would be a better anchor. Since you have spacers, it seems that you will be getting them.

UGHBRACES

#7 Post by UGHBRACES »

I have 4 bands and they don't bother me at all.

Miss Smiley

#8 Post by Miss Smiley »

I like Tin Indian had a stubborn crown which would not take kindly to the bracket and I ended up with 1 molar band.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

acd

#9 Post by acd »

Initially I had bands on my four first molars. After the bracket came off my upper left lateral twice it was replaced with a metal band for four months until the tooth came forward. A year later I had four more bands placed on my second molars. Getting bands placed can be uncomfortable because you have to bite down to get them placed right on the tooth. My wife had bands around every tooth when she had braces in the early 1980's and both of the consultations I had as a teenager would have had bands on every tooth as well.

Abbey70

#10 Post by Abbey70 »

I agree, the placement is the hardest part of molar bands. I had five placed yesterday and it seemed like it one was going to go right through my jaw and draw blood. Now it's not so bad.
Brackets and archwire put on 1/26/09
Spacers 2/24/09
Bands & rewire 3/9/09

marycotter5678

#11 Post by marycotter5678 »

I have bands on my back teeth as well. It kinda hurt when they were fitting them and putting them on. They bonde it to the tooth with some blue substance so it won't budge. I am just wondering, does anyone know how they take these things off? Do they drill ir off or what?
I think it will be more painful taking them off =/ Not looking forward to it...