poking wire help!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

suzeeq22

poking wire help!!

#1 Post by suzeeq22 »

How long after an adjustment did you feel the wire in the back begin to poke your cheek??

I have had Damons since 11/4 and my first adjustment on 01/12.....two day's later I was feeling the wire. I have to keep wax on it ALL the time. Is it too soon to call them to clip it??

Thanks for your help!
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´Sue

TumbleDryLow

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

I've always felt that my teeth move very fast immediately after an adjustment, so no it's not too soon for a wire to be poking you. It could also be that they did not cut the wire short enough at your adjustment. Call them up, there is no need to be in pain---they expect these types of "emergency' appointments.

Audra

#3 Post by Audra »

The ortho assistant told me at my last adjustment (Jan 9) that 'stops' on the wire can prevent this from happening. It would seem that the wire poking you so soon after an adjustment could mean the wire is sliding around more than it should. I'd give them a call. Pokey wires do hurt!

browneyedgrl

#4 Post by browneyedgrl »

Hi Suzeeq,

I have had the wire poke me days after getting my braces and I've had to go it and get it clipped.

In the past year I've gone in 2-3 times to get the wires clipped inbetween adjustments.

B
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

switchblades

#5 Post by switchblades »

Mine were not clipped short enough after my last adjustment, and since my upper 2nd molars were just tied in, the wire was digging in pretty badly. I didn't have a chance to go back in, so I tried wax, and eventually, the skin just toughened up. It took until today for there to be no pain though, and my adjustment was the 5th! So I'd say go get them clipped!
Initial Consult: August 22nd, 2008
Upper Arch Bracketed: October 22nd, 2008
Lower Arch Bracketed: December 3rd, 2008
Debraced: October 15th, 2009

My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... sc&start=0

bbsadmin

#6 Post by bbsadmin »

Any time that you have a poking wire, call your ortho to get it clipped ASAP. You are not bothering your ortho's office to ask if you can pop in to have this done. It is very common. If you wait, your cheek will only get all torn up. So don't torture yourself, and get it clipped as soon as you notice it's poking you!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

suzeeq22

#7 Post by suzeeq22 »

thank you all so much!! I'm going to call them today!!

You're right! I've paid them ALOT of money........and it shouldn't be a bother.......I just thought they might think I'm crazy if it was too soon but I can't wait until my next appt. which isn't until 3/26!!

By the way......I love these boards.........you all have been SO helpful!!
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´Sue

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#8 Post by blindboarder2008 »

good stuff! pokey wires as everyone has said above are no fun, I've had pokey wires 2 to 3 times now, and i'm going into my 11 month come this feb in braces! Two adjustments i go they put fany stoppers on the wires so they wouldn't slide around as much, seem to have worked like a charm and no pokey wires yet.
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!