How often do you get your ligs changed

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

teewoods

How often do you get your ligs changed

#1 Post by teewoods »

I was reading a thread about different colour ligs and its seesm everyone gets theirs change quite often. I have had mine on for 4 months and not even a mention of it being changed. Is this normal? Why do they get changed?

GiovanntiLawing

#2 Post by GiovanntiLawing »

They normally change my ligs at adjustments. I don't think ive ever worn the same ligs for more than 4 weeks. Thats weird if they don't change them...but who am I to say....
Giovannti. 26 years old with braces..

http://bracesandthecity.blogspot.com/

2nd Time w/Braces
Metal-First time 10 years ago
Ceramic-(Second time) Top Arch Installed 7/9/2008, Bottom Arch Installed 9/10/2008

Next Adjustment 11/25/2008

Word of advice: WEAR YOUR RETAINERS!!

vjammiez

Mine get changed...

#3 Post by vjammiez »

This is interesting. I've only been braced since October but my ligs have gotten changed at each adjustment. As a matter of fact, so far, ONLY my ligs have changed not my wires yet so it seems odd. Of course I'm no ortho but it just seems like something you should ask about..
I am a rock in a sea of chaos...
[/url]

GiovanntiLawing

#4 Post by GiovanntiLawing »

Now, that I know is common. Not changing the wires. They only change them every so often. The thickness in wires are for different things. If I am correct, they use the thicker wires when alignment is almost set or if they don't need as much force to move your teeth. With my treatment, they used softer wires in the beginning to move certain teeth gradually..and the stiffer wire was used to move teeth after the desired alignment was met. I was told by my ortho that nowadays the Nickel Titanium wires last for a very long time which is why my wires were not changed for the first 5 months. It was like 2 months ago when I received the thicker wire. Im not going to lie, you can REALLY tell the difference thats for damn sure. But yeah, wires may or may not change too often. Good luck with your treatment though :)

2nd Time w/Braces
Ceramic-(Second time) Top Arch Installed 7/9/2008, Bottom Arch Installed 9/10/2008

GiovanntiLawing

#5 Post by GiovanntiLawing »

Now, that I know is common. Not changing the wires. They only change them every so often. The thickness in wires are for different things. If I am correct, they use the thicker wires when alignment is almost set or if they don't need as much force to move your teeth. With my treatment, they used softer wires in the beginning to move certain teeth gradually..and the stiffer wire was used to move teeth after the desired alignment was met. I was told by my ortho that nowadays the Nickel Titanium wires last for a very long time which is why my wires were not changed for the first 5 months. It was like 2 months ago when I received the thicker wire. Im not going to lie, you can REALLY tell the difference thats for damn sure. But yeah, wires may or may not change too often. Good luck with your treatment though :)

2nd Time w/Braces